Mac newbie and iChat/other software....

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by stieny, Jan 9, 2009.

1. stieny macrumors member

I have been a converted mac user since late December when I got my new MBP. Since then I've spent a lot time getting comfortable with OS X and browsing these boards. I do have two software questions though....

First, with iChat, is there a way to actually go into your buddy list and edit your buddies like there was on IM? The reason I noticed that there wasn't was because on my IM account I had my own name in my buddy list. When I pulled it into iChat, it no longer displays my name like the old IM did. Then I tried to find where I can go into and view all my contacts and I could not find that option. Seems much more limited than IM.

Second, I read on these boards all the time about new apps and what people are getting for their macs. Where does everyone get these things? I mean, for my iPhone, I can jump into the app store which is very simple. But for my mac, is it just a matter of finding out the name of a program, googling it and then downloading it off a website? I just hear about all these programs on peoples computers and "apps" people are getting but I'm not sure where to get them or even what are good ones to have.

Oh and FWIW, these computers are great!

Thanks all

2. pyth macrumors member

For your iChat problem-
    Are you trying to add buddies or change screen names or what? I'm slightly confused...:(

Applications-
    Go to apple.com and look under the downloads tab at the top. There you will find applications galore.

Hope that helps.

3. stieny thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the response. For iChat, I know I can add buddies by just clicking the add buddy button at the bottom. But with IM on my PC I could open up the buddy list so I could delete and move around SN's.

Also, I'm a bit confused why I had my own name on my buddy list on my PC and it displayed. But in iChat it doesn't.

4. mAc-warrior macrumors member

mAc-warrior

5. stieny thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the advice. I'll check out those sites.

Also, is there not a way to have a profile in iChat like there is on IM? It seems like iChat is very basic and only can be used for simple communication.

6. stieny thread starter macrumors member