Mac Newbie Anti-Virus S/W Help !

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by rb1234, Jun 9, 2007.

1. rb1234 macrumors newbie

Hi All,

Well I finally made the leap and bought a new Macbook Pro (santa rosa model) yesterday. I'm just in the process of setting up all the applications, internet, etc. One thing I realised though is I don't currently have any anti-virus software on the machine.

Previously on my Windows machine (Sorry to mention the 'W' word :) I used to use the very good AVG anti virus software which was free. Is there any equivalent or equal software for Mac available for free ?

Rgds and thanks in advance
    Rick

2. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

No need for anti-virus under Mac OSX. Relax and enjoy.

3. Luis macrumors 65816

Luis

Surf the Internet in peace, be happy and enjoy your new computer!

4. 66217 Guest

Don't worry, there are no viruses for Mac.

Welcome to the bright side of the world.:)

5. samh004 macrumors 68020

samh004

If your looking for some anti-virus I recommend Virex. Apple used to offer it with .Mac and I continued for a period afterwards, it's pretty decent, but slow at supporting new systems, so sometimes can be more trouble than it's worth.

The few times it picked up a virus, it was a windows virus that couldn't harm my system and was simply removing it so I didn't infect a windows user.

However I haven't used it in a while. Completely uninstalled. It's not really necessary on a Mac at this time. You can install some, but sometimes they do more harm than good, bear that in mind.

6. djstarrock macrumors 6502a

djstarrock

You don't need AV. There is way to many threads on this topic someone should make a sticky about this.

7. janey macrumors 603

janey

I agree, but the blanket statement of "no AV needed" is retarded.

The point of AV software on non-Windows platforms is to deal with infected files going to/from Windows users. It is a moot point if you don't have any such computers on the same network or your coworkers or family or whatever don't either, or when you KNOW there's some good AV software already on it. Otherwise when you fall into one of those couple of categories, there is a clear need for AV software, although it becomes less of a need when, again, you know the other computer(s) already has it.