Mac newbie backup help

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by boomdog, Dec 12, 2013.

1. boomdog macrumors regular

boomdog

I'm rather new to Mac, my first one arrived on Monday! Unfortunately, the screen has a faulty pixel which I only noticed on Tuesday and as a result I have booked a genius bar appointment for Sunday. I don't really know how the warranty works on MacBooks however if it's anything like iPhones/iPads I'll probably walk away with a new machine. With that in mind I want to try and save myself the hassle of downloading and installing updates, apps and other software along with many of the work documents I have already transferred to my new machine.

Q1.) Is there a way to back everything up (software, apps, documents, settings) so I can simply restore everything to a new machine (if I get one)?

Q2.) I have an external (NTFC) that I use with a windows PC, can I use that for backup?

Q3.) If the above is not possible, could I partition the device to make it work with both Windows and Mac - even if that means separate partitions.

Any advice you can give would be most appreciated.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

If you want to back up everything, including system files, the backup external drive must be formatted as HFS+, or at least have a partition that is formatted as HFS+. For backups, I recommend Carbon Copy Cloner, which can make a bootable clone of your drive, including the OS X Recovery Partition.

You can use version 3.5.1 ($40) or 3.4.7 (free, and works well on OS X 10.6, 10.7 and 10.8). Unlike SuperDuper!, CCC also clones the OS X Recovery partition.

3. boomdog thread starter macrumors regular

boomdog

Thanks for the near immediate response!

Can I format the drive to HFS+ through windows or will it have to be done in OS X?

Will OS X pick up the drive if it is currently formatted in NTFS and is it easy to partition the drive in OS X?

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You'll have to format the drive as HFS+ using OS X, since Windows cannot natively read or write HFS+ drives. OS X can natively read, but not write to, NTFS-formatted drives. The following will give you all the information you need about formats.

Format A Hard Drive Using Disk Utility (which is in your /Applications/Utilities folder)
    Choose the appropriate format:
    HFS+ (Hierarchical File System, a.k.a. Mac OS Extended (Journaled) Don't use case-sensitive) NTFS (Windows NT File System)
    • Read/Write NTFS from native Windows.
    • Read only NTFS from native Mac OS X [*]To Read/Write/Format NTFS from Mac OS X, here are some alternatives:
      • For Mac OS X 10.4 or later (32 or 64-bit), install Paragon (approx $20) (Best Choice for Lion and later)
      • For 32-bit Mac OS X, install NTFS-3G for Mac OS X (free) (does not work in 64-bit mode)
      • For 64-bit Snow Leopard, read this: MacFUSE for 64-bit Snow Leopard
      • Some have reported problems using Tuxera (approx $36).
      • Native NTFS support can be enabled in Snow Leopard and Lion, but is not advisable, due to instability.
    • AirPort Extreme (802.11n) and Time Capsule do not support NTFS
    • Maximum file size: 16 TB
    • Maximum volume size: 256TB
    • You can use this format if you routinely share a drive with multiple Windows systems.
    exFAT (FAT64)
    • Supported in Mac OS X only in 10.6.5 or later.
    • Not all Windows versions support exFAT. See disadvantages.
    • exFAT (Extended File Allocation Table)
    • AirPort Extreme (802.11n) and Time Capsule do not support exFAT
    • Maximum file size: 16 EiB
    • Maximum volume size: 64 ZiB
    • You can use this format if it is supported by all computers with which you intend to share the drive. See "disadvantages" for details.
    FAT32 (File Allocation Table)
    • Read/Write FAT32 from both native Windows and native Mac OS X. [*]Maximum file size: 4GB.
    • Maximum volume size: 2TB
    • You can use this format if you share the drive between Mac OS X and Windows computers and have no files larger than 4GB.

5. boomdog thread starter macrumors regular

boomdog

Unreal, thank you so much. I'll hopefully be good from here but will add to the thread if I hit any problems.

Thanks again, saved me heaps of time!