Mac newbie bootcamp question

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ct04, Feb 28, 2008.

1. ct04 macrumors member

Hi guys,

So Tuesday I finally returned to the promised land of macs, for the first time since I was 13. I picked up a new macbook pro which is annoyingly "not yet shipped" STILL- but I'm super excited. I'm also excited because I'm replacing my ancient pc laptop, and so for the first time in years I'll be able to play computer games at a resolution higher than 640x480.

To summarize, I'm excited, but also a little scared; are there any guides on how a convert should go about figuring things out?

And most importantly, this bootcamp thing. How do I do it? I understand the basics, but once windows is installed, what do I do to optimize it for gaming? Any special tricks? Do I download video card drivers etc? Finally, once I load my games up, do I just go ahead and play, or is there tweaking I should do? In the interest of getting the best possible answers, the games I'm interested in playing are Galactic Civs II (which I would guess needs 0 optimization), and Elder Scrolls IV Oblivion. I picked up a 2.4 ghz, 7200 rpm, 2 gb ram mbp. Thanks so much guys; I tried searching but I didn't know what exactly to search for, so sorry if this is a repost. and I'm sure it is.

2. McGiord, Feb 28, 2008
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2011

McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

To install bootcamp just follow the bootcamp assistant instructions, you will need a SP2 windows XP or Vista license.
    I think that you can download specific video drivers for your mac video card from ATI or NVIDIA websites directly, there are some tweaks out there also, just search the forum.
    ________
    wholesale vaporizer

3. SVT Amateur macrumors 6502

Go to laptop2go's website and they offer the latest nvidia drivers (these are only for Windows as the only drivers available for Mac is what comes with the computer) with a modified driver file that allows it to work the laptops. I just updated mine in Windows Vista with no problems, although I don't play any games on my computer (I have an Xbox 360 for that).

4. honeycrisp macrumors regular

Bootcamp? Who needs it? I love not having to use XP...