MAC newbie - firefox, safari, chrome, "other"?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by searchless1, May 31, 2011.

1. searchless1, May 31, 2011
    Last edited: May 31, 2011

searchless1 macrumors newbie

Got a MacbookPro. PC user, since before you were born! :) Friend said, "You're a MAC lover and don't know it!" Blindly walking through MAC-land.

Quite possibly subjective in nature, but... What do you recommend & why - firefox, safari, chrome, "other"? (My friend recommended safari, but only because it was recommended to him. He doesn't use the net much.)

ALSO, is it possible to import my firefox bookmarks using safari? (haven't downloaded FF on this computer)

2. Ach111es macrumors regular

I am a PC guy for now and I love chrome: the extensions are amazing, it's super fast.

Safari is better with battery life and of course is essentially integrated with the OS (dictionary and whatnot).

Look into "clicktoflash" to speed up browsing.

3. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

I use FF, but that's just my preference. I'd download FF and Chrome, try all three out and use what you like best. Some pages work best on certain browsers, so it's definitely best to at least have a second browser available.

4. iReminisce macrumors newbie

I like Safari and Chrome better in OSX.
    Firefox 4 in Windows 7. Just my preferences.

5. smeg36 macrumors regular

Firefox for me for one reason: three finger swipe up and down to go to the top and bottom of a page. I dot think the other two do that. I tried, and it didn't work. I use that all the time on my 13" since it has less screen real estate to work with.

6. acedickson macrumors 6502a

acedickson

Bettertouchtool can solve that problem for you.

@OP I use Safari and Chrome. I really wish I could combine all the features I love about all three browsers but I can't.

7. Macsavvytech macrumors 6502a

Macsavvytech

My Main browser is chrome, On my Mac I use Firefox 3.6, 4.0, Safari, Chrome and a few other version of chrome safari etc. In bootcamp I use Firefox 3,6, 4.0, Safari, Chrome, IE 7, 8, 9 (Virtual Machines). Ill let you guess what kind of a job I have :p

The reason I mainly use chrome is I like the skins, seems a little less chunky then firefox 4 and my personal favourite! The tabs dont resize until you move your mouse down from the top of your screen. Personal touch but it makes my day.

8. p1ngputts macrumors member

9. basesloaded190 macrumors 68030

basesloaded190

I'm a FF 4 guy. Always ran into problems with Safari, so I never use that. Never tried Chrome, but might now seeing as though many people really like that

10. Bob Coxner macrumors 6502a

11. ZombieZakk macrumors 6502

i use chrome and safari regularly pending which phone im using lol if im on my iphone 4 then its safari because i can sync my book marks but when im on my infuse(android) i use chrome because the chrome to phone feature rules! and i can sync my booksmarks with my work pc.

12. Mackilroy macrumors 68040

Mackilroy

I prefer Chrome – it's faster than Safari, has a cleaner interface than Firefox 4, and FF4 is also an enormous resource hog. Plus I enjoy being able to sync bookmarks and more between systems and OSes. :) Not that Firefox doesn't have syncing, I just only really use it on my desktop.

13. mbp17xxx macrumors regular

cons
    - Safari and Firefox are resource hogs, 1gig at normal use
    - Firefox and Chrome activates discrete video card, bad for battery life

pros
    - Firefox lots of plugins
    - Safari native to mac os, built in features
    - Chrome simple, fast, low on resource

I use Firefox in windows. On mac i liked using safari, but eats up to much ram, so now I switched to Chrome, turning off discrete card with gfxCardStatus

14. blevins321 macrumors 68030

That was my only issue with Chrome on my MBP. GfxCardStatus fixed it though and I was back to whole-day battery life :)

15. Randizzledante macrumors regular

Internet Explorer!

Just kidding ;)
    I like FF a lot personally, but Safari is pretty sweet too. Not a huge Chrome fan, but I've heard good things.

16. getz76 macrumors 6502a

getz76

I like Firefox, so that is what I use. All of the browsers are quick enough these days and with modern hardware it is tough to tell the difference. Even Internet Explorer 8 is not terrible.

FYI, you can turn-off hardware video acceleration in Firefox preferences.

I do not like Safari's interface, but that is just a personal preference.

I just do not trust Google.</paranoid> I will not use Chrome until I have to once they have 95% of the browser market-share.

17. foulmouthedleon macrumors regular

foulmouthedleon

IE 6 for me. All the way.

Ok, just kidding.

I prefer Safari on Mac and PC, but again it's just personal preference. I like Opera too - but they're all pretty much the same.

I am using the link checker plugin for FF that's come in handy for a project at work.

Try 'em all though see which one works best for you.

18. maclaptop macrumors 65816

maclaptop

They're all good in their own way. Today's browsers are all fast, stable, and easy to customize. Therefore it really is personal preference.

I prefer the speed and clutter free Chrome. I use Safari when downloading from Apple. In addition I use the latest versions of Firefox and Opera.

19. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

You sure about that? ;)

For years I used Firefox for both Windows and OS X. The recent upgrade to FF 4 made it unusably slow and buggy for me, so I'm now getting used to Safari. There are still some things I don't like or haven't gotten used to, mostly little tricks and shortcuts that worked in FF but not in Safari, but Safari seems to be faster and more stable than FF 4. I gave Chrome a try but I never liked it.

Yes.

20. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

I use safari mostly, but only because I’m used to it and I don’t want to be left behind if some change should come about that makes safari better. My only real beef with safari is not being able to save a download where I want it when I click a link to download something. You have to pick a folder for safari downloads, and that can be annoying, if I wanted to save it in a certain folder. Of course, I also don’t like safari’s being such a memory hog.

21. Kentochan macrumors 6502

Kentochan

I've used all three, and I have to say that Safari is my favorite on a Mac, followed by Chrome. Functionality and speed are the most important things to me, so I use Safari. But if I was wanted sheer speed, I'd go with Chrome.

22. mghostsoft macrumors member

mghostsoft

Which browser were you using before? I recommend Firefox and Chrome since they can keep your personal data on the server and sync everything between your devices. And Chrome is faster than Firefox.

23. Captain Dynamo macrumors member

Chrome syncs bookmarks nicely across platforms. Use it at work on a PC and at home on my Mac. Also very fast.

24. gngan macrumors 68000

gngan

Used to use FF for 6 + years but switched to Chrome (1 month ago). FF's latest version sucks and it's a memory hog! Loving every moment with Chrome.