Mac newbie losing faith

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by munny, Aug 1, 2008.

1. munny macrumors newbie

I'm new to the mac world. I bought a refurbed macbook pro 2.4. I did some research and didn't see anyone having issues with refurbed macs. It arrived and I was very excited to start working on it. I couldn't get it to stay on my wireless network for more than 15 minutes. I searched forums like these and saw some other people having the same issues blaming leopard. I made various changes to my airport setting, Linksys router and tried a Cisco aironet ap. The dropping issues continued. My fiance's macbook pro with tiger had no problems, neither did my work laptop (Thinkpad) connecting to either. I went out and drank some more of the Apple koolaide and bought an airport extreme. I still had the problems. I went to the Genius bar at my local Apple store. The fellow behind the bar mentioned that there was a problem with 3rd party routers after I asked if it was a problem with leopard as reported on the blogosphere. He thought that since I had an airport extreme it must be the airport card. It was sent out to to be fixed last week. I called 4 or 5 days later and was told it was just sent out (that day) and should be back soon. I called again today (2 days later) and was told that they received it (which didn't make sense if they had just sent it out 2 days ago) and did a diagnostic test on it and found problem with the logic board. I'm a pretty easy going guy, but this really ticked me off. Shouldn't the diagnostic test been done at the place they sent it to before they sent it back to the store? If it was actually sent out in the first place. Sorry for the long post, but I had to vent.

2. WillJS macrumors 65816

WillJS

Atleast it's being taken care of. Once you get the Mac and really use it, you'll see that it was all worth it. :)

3. Kan-O-Z macrumors 6502

I would walk into the Apple Store and call out the manager immediately. Do not speak to one of the regular employees. Just ask them to get the manager. Once you get the manager, start telling him/her how you really feel as well as the entire sequence of events. Tell them that you just switched to Apple and were excited and now this is really making you change your mind. Tell him/her that you want them to just exchange it for another refurbished one or do something. If you are within your 14 day period you could just return. See what they can do for you. They should be somewhat responsive.

PS - Just hang in there till you get it resolved. The MBP is an awesome machine...you'll love it!

Kan-O-Z

4. Dan Lorth macrumors member

Man that stinks, but as the previous poster said atleast you are getting it taken care of. It does seem a little backwards to have the diagnostics being run at the place where you dropped it off, not where they fix it. Hopefully this all gets resolved soon.

5. MattKanzler macrumors member

yeah i would be frustrated, that does not seem right

6. scotty96LSC macrumors 65816

scotty96LSC

Give it a chance. Things will work out and this machine be will awesome.

7. tdgrn macrumors 6502

I work at Best Buy and I'm only 22, but the one thing that I have learned while working there is that no matter what brand you buy, apple, dell, gateway, whatever, they are portable electronics, which mean they are going to break at some point and time. With that being said, I bought my macbook pro new, and I also bought the AppleCare with the computer, and with that being said, I have had to send my computer in twice (hd and new display, yes new display) and I just had to call for a new battery, but I have not been without my computer for over a week (combined time for all issues) not bad all things considered.

On the contrast, my fiancé's laptop is an hp, and it has worked fine for the majority of a year, but right along the year mark, the motherboard failed. With HP customer service, I literally had to fight with them on several occasions to get anything resolved (if you want to call it that) and when I finally got it back I had to send it back to them within a week, but after that I had to re fit the plastic case, due to the tech's lack of care for my machine...

final thoughts, even with all the problems that I have had with my mac, I still am much more happy with it than I ever had been with the pc, and even though techinally I have had 3 times as much issues with the hardware, the customer service has been out of this world, and the three issues that I have had with the mac have resulted in less outage time with the mac than the pc...

sorry for the rant, Im a little buzzed....:D

8. winninganthem macrumors 6502a

winninganthem

Sounds like you got a lemon, sorry to hear that. I use an old Linksys wireless G router with my MBP and it's never dropped out on me. Hope all goes well.

9. docal97 macrumors 6502a

docal97

man that's just pathetic that Apple would not do a diagnostic on a computer b4 they sell it as a refurb. If you were within your 14 day window, I wold have just returned it for another unit.

I would definitely contact Apple customer relations regarding your problem. They will take car of you.

10. noodle654 macrumors 68020

noodle654

Yeah I totally agree with you. Dont call AppleCare, somebody here has the Customer Relations number. AppleCare will just try to repair it.

11. Lordillingworth macrumors regular

Welcome to the world of apple, because their products a better than anyone elses we have to put up faulty units and keep getting repairs or refurbs, for some reason like idiots we let them get away with this whereas if we had the same problem with a windows pc we would be baying for blood.

You won't be a true apple fan until you are prepared to let them get away with murder!

12. brop52 macrumors 68000

brop52

The people that have issues like this are few and far between. You just have to be assertive and get your problems fixed. It is unacceptable.

13. benmrii macrumors 65816

benmrii

There are direct CR numbers, but calling Apple Care (800.APL.CARE) and asking to speak with CR works too.

That said, shouldn't be necessary for this. Managers love switchers and want your experience to be the best possible. Speak with a manager, the store manager if the first one you speak too doesn't resolve it to your liking, and it will almost certainly get taken care of. Good luck.

14. okrelayer macrumors 6502a

dont loose faith! My new macbook was refurb (always weary about that) and the logic board was totally screwed up. They fixed it with in a few days and no problems since, and i am loving this machine!

15. RainForRent macrumors 6502

RainForRent

Its not the refurb to blame, it just happens. My MBP was new and I've had my fans, superdrive, logic board and CPU replaced. If Apple is footing the bill, don't fret, just be patient.

16. pdxflint macrumors 68020

pdxflint

I got a refurb MBP SR 2.2 15" five months ago, and I am completely satisfied with it so far - everything's perfect. I saved nearly $600 from the new price. I think the odds of getting a good sample is higher going the refurb route, just because someone's at least looked at the machine and checked it out (and I'm only saying the odds are higher, not a guarantee.) From several camera and electronics company reps I've talked to, many electronics manufacturer's refurbs are in fact brand new, where during manufacturing they failed some quality control check, and were pulled off the line. These units are then handled as refurbs once the out-of-spec issues are dealt with. Others are demo units or 14-day returns. The thing is for me, cosmetically I've been unable to ever see a difference between factory-refurb units and new ones, other than the color of the box being brown. With Apple, the warranty is exactly the same as new units.

The key is - Manufacturer's refurbished, not third-party refurbished.

17. pinktank macrumors 6502

thing happen, dont let yourself down from the get go

18. g00k macrumors regular

lol compared to me u all are lucky...
    i bough a new mbp
    it was defect... than they repaired it for 4!!!! weeks
    and still defect... and i have no manager to talk to, because its just a reseller..

19. g00k macrumors regular

1question...
    what happens if they repair it 3times without any results and at that time the new mbp is out... can i say give me the new one? or will they give me the same mbp i bought ... new ofc

20. munny thread starter macrumors newbie

Feeling better about my MBP

I finally got my MBP back after over 2 weeks. They replaced the wireless card antennae and the logic board. It is still under warranty so they replaced everything for free. So far so good. I have my airport extreme on 5ghz and added my old router via an ethernet port off the AEB so I could have wireless G devices run on 2.4ghz. I bought the applecare, I figure it's good investment. The next purchase is some type of cooling pad for this thing. It's giving off some heat.