Mac newbie question about airport ????????

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by muzic4lyfe, May 7, 2011.

1. muzic4lyfe macrumors newbie

Hello all- thanks in advance for your reply- I know it may sound strange, but I do not want access to the internet by wifi..... connecting to the internet at my house (picking up a signal) is too distracting as I will waste hours upon hours looking at "things" .....This is where you say "okay, well turn off the airport and problem solved." Yes true, for someone with a higher amount of self-discipline. I know some macs have the card which can be taken out and some where it's sodded in the motherboard. So basically, I'm looking for a mac where it's not sodded in, but the problem is I cant figure out which models are and aren't.

and also, I'm making music with it, not a professional, but need something with a bit of a kick. (Ableton live, good amount of pug-ins)

Thanks again!

Dave

2. DanielCoffey macrumors 65816

DanielCoffey

One option is to set yourself up a User account that does not have privilege to switch the airport on or off and use that as your daily Mac account. That way, if you DO have a need to use the Airport you can, and if you want the "not here" feeling you are covered too. That way you do not have to physically disable the card.

3. saulinpa macrumors 6502

Self control is a wonderful thing. You sound like someone who knows the reality that most of us don't have it!

The Mac Pro's wireless has always been on a removable card. Only the current generation comes with it by default. Two connectors and two screws and it is out of there.

4. muzic4lyfe thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks Saulinpa, I'm workin on it:) I like the idea of getting rid of the card- however, having an account user like Daniel mentioned also sounds good. But my question about that is cant I just sign on as a guest or make another user account that would enable me to get on wifi?