Mac newbie w. a new MBP Feb. 15"

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by yang88she, Nov 17, 2011.

1. yang88she macrumors regular

First of all, this is a great forum with massive amounts of helpful info.

I received my (new to me) MBP 15" Feb w. the 2.3 i7 quad

but it did not come with any software cd ie no os etc.

I bought a new crucial 128gb m4 ssd, I bought an adapter for the optical (still on the way from China, and won't be here until Dec)

Before my adapter arrives, is it possible for me to "clone" my current hdd (500gb 7200) w. all it's contents either onto an external or make copy onto a dvd and then remove the 500gb hdd and then install the ssd?

Also if this is possible, can anyone be so kind to link me a helpful step by step? Not a PC newbie, but I am completely new to Mac

Also if I can clone and then successfully move everything over the SSD, can I install bootcamp and install win 7 or do I need to partition OSX first and then run boot camp?

Sorry, I know it is a lot of questions, I am anxiously waiting for work to be done so I can start setting up my new MBP

Again, TIA for all the help and suggestions

2. Detrius macrumors 68000

If you've run all of your firmware updates, then it's not a problem that you don't have any install disks, as one of the more recent firmware updates enabled Internet Recovery. Boot the machine holding command-R, and it will boot from a Lion installer over the internet.

Yes, it's possible to clone to an external. Carbon Copy Cloner is useful for that. As far as the Windows questions, it's a bit trickier to move a Windows install to a new different-sized drive, but you didn't say whether or not you have an existing Windows install. If you do, try WinClone. You'll definitely want to run the Boot Camp assistant anyway, since it downloads the updated drivers for you to burn to disk.

Sorry for not giving step-by-step directions. I don't quite have time to do that, but I hope the above points you in the right direction.

3. yang88she thread starter macrumors regular

4. thundersteele macrumors 68030

I have a stupid question about this. Does Internet Recovery work on encrypted wireless networks? When I hold command-R, will it ask me which wireless network it should connect to, and how? Or do I have to use an ethernet cable?

Just something I've been wondering about recently.

5. daftpunkstu, Nov 17, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2011

daftpunkstu macrumors member

Win clone will manage your windows part of it. As for the drive cloning there are loads of utilities available for free on the web, you shouldnt need any discs to reinstall osx as has been said above

6. Spadoinkles macrumors regular

Yeah. Did it for a 13" with a fresh SSD on it; booted, it detected my network and asked for password.