MAC Newbie with email questions

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by MadDogMyers, Oct 6, 2012.

1. MadDogMyers macrumors newbie

Hello Everyone-

I have my own company and have always used PC. For the past 7 years I've used one laptop that I hook up to an external monitor at work and then take my laptop home so I had access to everything on my computer at all times. I use POP3 email accounts setup in Outlook 2007. I recently switched from blackberry to the iphone5. I now have an iMAC at home as well. I'm considering getting an iMAC for my office as well. I believe I can switch my email accounts to IMAP if necessary but I'm wondering what my best option would be if I want to access emails on my phone, home computer, and work computer separately but have all changes made affect all three? For example, I want any sent emails on my phone to show up in Outlook (or any other program I'm using) on my home and work computer. What is the easiest way of doing this?

2. ChristianJapan macrumors 601

ChristianJapan

Do you have your own domain ? any hosting service you use ?

As you mentioned IMAP that would be the right way in my eyes. Get your hosting service to setup an IMAP mail environment (or Exchange if you preferr) which you then can easy access from your company computer, iPhone and home Mac.
    I'm using IMAP for my private mails and have this way access from every device at any time.

You might want to check with you lawyer if you have any special archiving needs for official company emails.

Ah, and welcome to MacRumors

3. MadDogMyers thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, I have my own domain. It's hosted through hostgator. What is an IMAP mail environment? Should I continue using Outlook or switch to something else?

4. ChristianJapan macrumors 601

ChristianJapan

Depend on your hosting plan you might have a configuration page (cPanel) where you can setup IMAP (with individual accounts). I don't know hostgator but my hosting company provide a number of easy to follow tutorials how to setup Outlook clients or iPhone with them. I assume hostgator will have the same.