Mac newbie with PowerMac graphics question. Go easy!

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by msjones, Sep 21, 2008.

1. msjones macrumors 6502

msjones

Hi,

Relatively new Mac user here, on my second MacBook in 6 months and have just bought a PowerMac G5 dual 2.0 from a friend.

Firstly I have to say that I love this new machine. It feels a hell of alot faster than my ex-quad core PC and my intel MacBook.

The G5 came installed with a ATI Radeon 9600 64MB AGP. I assume this was standard when released. Anyway, I have come into possession of two new AGP cards, an ATI Radeon X1650 and a 9800 All-in-Wonder.

I know you have to flash roms of cards before they will work in the PowerMac. My question is how do I go about doing this? And is it possible to flash any if not both of the ATI cards above?

Many thanks

Matthew

2. Firefly2002 macrumors 65816

You can flash the 9800 AIW though I imagine you'll lose the AIW capabilities, given there's no AIW for the Mac. However, it'll be faster than the 9600, and has more VRAM.

3. msjones thread starter macrumors 6502

msjones

Thanks for the reply.

How would I go about flashing this card? Im not to botherd about the AIW side of the card.

I also bought an ATI 9550 256MB AGP card today from the computer fair, £3 working! Would it be possible to flash this card?

Thanks