Mac newbie with some strange questions

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Johnny Shear, Oct 5, 2008.

1. Johnny Shear macrumors newbie

OK...First, I'm a newbie to my iMac One month), but have had a PC for well over 10 years...So please excuse my ignorance? :)

First...I got Paraells with my Mac and it's WAY cool! I love being able to use Mac and Windows. But, something weird just happened (After it working fine since I got it.

As some of you may know, when you are running both Mac and Windows, it leaves a space at the bottom so you can see and utilize the dock. This works well when switching back and forth from Mac to Windows.

Well...All of the sudden, only Mack has left the dock visible. When I switch to Windows, it takes up the entire monitor. Meaning I have to shut Windows down in order to access Mac...A REAL HASSLE!

And I can't seem to switch it back!

Any help?

Also...

I can't figure-out the Mac mouse. With windows, if you wanted to open a link into a different window, all you had to do is right click the mouse and the new link opened. But for the life of me, I can figure out what the right click of the Mack mouse is for????

Also...

I have figured-out how to highlight text with the Mac mouse and then drag it to the place you want. But many times, I want to drag it to Windows and it doesn't work???

I know this is a lot but I'm having a lot of troubles enjoying my Mac and am just looking for help. If you can help me, I we you a coke!

Thanks,

Johnny

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I thought you actually middle clicked or control clicked in Windows to redirect to a new window/tab.

FWIW, though, in OS X, you hold the option key and click. I think if you have a middle mouse button, that might do it also. If you have programmable mouse buttons (e.g. mighty mouse), you can certainly also assign one of them to option-click.

3. Johnny Shear thread starter macrumors newbie

Hey thanks mkrishnan! I'm honored to be answered by a moderator. But two problems...

If you could, it would help if you dumbed-down your answers. (I don't understand your first paragraph).

As for your second paragraph, you've hopelessly lost me...

In order to try to fix my problem with Widows taking up the whole screen (Covering the dock), I tried holding down the middle button then clicked option and nothing happened.

Hopelessly lost! :(

I do know this much....I was on a message board yesterday and asked the same question and some nice posters helped me, and even fixed my problem (Although I didn't write-down the remedy...Shame on me)...Then some power hungry Nazi banned me for asking the question in the wrong place (They had like 30 different forums, and this one was named "Questions asked and answered...Little did I know newbies were not welcome) instead of just moving my question...So the answers I got were lost forever.

Bottom line...It IS a quick fix, and it did include hitting two buttons at once (I think?).

Thanks for your help! Hope I can pay it back one day.

Johnny

4. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

To make a website appear in a new window or a new tab of the current window (depending on your browser and how it is set up), you press and hold the option key, which is the one in between Control and the Apple key, and then you click the left mouse button.

5. Melrose macrumors 604

Melrose

Weird. Not to add to the confusion, but by default, Safari uses Command-click for opening a link in a new tab, and Command-Option-Click for a new window. Simply Option-clicking downloads the page linked. I thought all browsers used the same key/click combinations...?

And, of course, Control-click effectively replicates right-click in Windows.

6. Johnny Shear thread starter macrumors newbie

I should have added that I use Firefox. I'm hooked on it after so many years of using a PC.

Does anyone have an opinion (An educated one...Someone who has used both Firefox and Safari??)

If so, please share?

Thanks,

Johnny

7. Pomeroy macrumors 6502

Pomeroy

If you are using the Mac Mouse you will have to turn on right click, it come's as off by default, go to the system preferences and set it up under the Keyboard & Mouse tab. If you use a PC mouse you won't have to do that..

8. Pomeroy macrumors 6502

Pomeroy

I used Parallels for awhile but found out I didn't need it as much as I thought so deleted it, but if you select "Coherence" , it's in a menu at the top somewhere it will make your desktop look like your Mac but you can still run your PC Apps..

9. Johnny Shear thread starter macrumors newbie

I thought I would ad this engenius suggestion I got from another board...

"Go to Menu (Apple Picture) > System Preferences > Keyboard and Mouse...

You can set the right click to Secondary Button there to get the same behavior as Windows."

So now I'm in my comfort zone!!!!

Now if I could just find a way to copy from one web page and then page to another. (You can copy and paste, by using Control-C and Control-V, just like in Windows...But it only lets you paste something on the same page that you are viewing.

Hope this helps anyone...that would help me feel like I'm paying back. :D

Johnny

10. Johnny Shear thread starter macrumors newbie

I know it's asking a lot, but could you expand upon that?

(My biggest trouble is that whenever I want to send or download a Word or Excel document, I have to go over to Windows to do it.

Of course I know there is a program (Pretty expensive) that allows you to run Microsoft Office on Mac.

11. Johnny Shear thread starter macrumors newbie

Already changed my (Wireless, which is why I like it) mouse to act like a PC mouse, so it's OK for now.

Now I just need to find a way to copy and paste like with Windows. For instance....I write a lot of email and like to save some of them in a Word format, but MAC doesn't allow that kind of copying and pasting.

Johnny

12. maxrobertson macrumors 6502a

They are both very good browsers. Safari has a better interface (much better), but Firefox has more features, like add-ons. If you don't use any add-ons that you cant live without, you should try Safari to see if you like it.

Also, if you want to use Microsoft Office, and that's the only reason you have Windows on there, you might just want to buy Microsoft Office for Mac. It's not a program that lets it work, it's actually Microsoft Office made by Microsoft for the Mac. It was here before it was on the PC ;). If you're a student or home user, you can get it pretty darn cheaply.

Until then, here's some advice, if you open the help menu, you can type in the box at the top of the menu to search for menu items. In Parallels, search for "Coherence" and it will point to the menu item you need to click in order to make Windows Apps blend in better with your Mac apps.

13. Johnny Shear thread starter macrumors newbie

What is the wide-spread opinion? I like Firefox and use it in Mac and Windows (It's handy because I can set them up exactly the same), but I'm wondering...Do people think Safari is far superior? Or is it just a matter of taste?

14. Johnny Shear thread starter macrumors newbie

I love my Firefox features, that's for SURE!!!

Plus, my Windows and Mac are set up exactly the same so I can navigate both with the same ease.

I think I've answered my own question...Firefox it is!!