mac newcomer needs help quick

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by ashjamben, Dec 18, 2007.

1. ashjamben macrumors 6502a

right, i'm freaking out here so please help me, i don't know what to do.

it started out i was just running a few programs when i decided to run a software update. garageband and quicktime updates came up and so i clicked download and carried on. a little later i noticed the dialog box saying they had completed and that my system needed to restart. i clicked restart and watched it go. it just left my background and dock on, while still bein able to move the mouse. i left it like this, thinking it was installing the updates, but it took about 10 minutes and still nothing, and i had previously manually downloaded the osx update which took no time at all, so i thought this was a little strange. i pressed the power button and it came up with the normal 'shut down, restart, etc' dialog box so i clicked restart, still nothing. so i decided to just take the battery out and start again. this is when the trouble started. my computer started up with the setup assistant screen, where choosing the country i was from and stuff. i paniced and closed that box. now all i have is a blue screen with setup assistant in the top left hand corner with file, edit, etc but all unresponsive. i can turn it off by taking the batery out, but then it just comes up with the same screen and i hear this guy saying something about voiceover. it tells me how to turn it on or to learn how to use it, ive tried these instructions but they dont work. please help me out here, im scared that by taking the battery out ive wiped my hard drive, maybe because the updates were still installing, and the laptop thinks its starting from fresh by showing the setup assistant screen. maybe not the case as in the event of a powercut on a normal mac they're must be some way of saving the harddrive.

but anyway, i dont have a clue what to do. please help. its a SR macbook if it makes any difference

thanks in advance

ps sorry if ive been totally stupid and offended you in every way, like i said i'm new to macs, so be nice

2. ashjamben thread starter macrumors 6502a

3. lil'homunculus macrumors regular

lil'homunculus

a) removing the battery will not erase your hard drive. Just stay away from strong magnets.
    b) if you have your original system disks, i would strongly recommend you get them inserted and restart while holding down the 'C' key.
    c) Erase and install
    d) if this doesn't work, get back to us, or to Apple Support.
    Godspeed.;)