Mac no longer reads External HDD; PC still can

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Yallo248, Jun 12, 2014.

1. Yallo248 macrumors newbie

Hello!

I have an external hard drive to which I've previously been able to use with both my Windows 7 PC and my Macbook. However, although the PC can still access the drive, it simply stopped working with my mac and "cannot be repaired."

I could probably re-format the drive (A WD My Passport), but I want to know why so I can prevent this in the future and hopefully fix the issue without reformatting the drive.

Thank you!

2. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

Please do not use the WD software. This software doesn't like OS X upgrades and have been known to cause major problems. Next is the drive HFS+ (Macos Extendend) or FAT32?

Plus did you attempt to repair the drive from your PC?

3. rjvcrisen5 macrumors newbie

This is very ironic because I was about to post a thread about this very same problem. I've had a macbook for a year now and it worked fine with my external hard drive. Just yesterday me and my girlfriend switched mac's because she wanted to use a program on there, and the external hard drive worked with the macbook yesterday. However today I find that external the hard drive will not be read by my girlfriends macbook. It is greyed out in the disk utilities section, and when I try to repair it I am told that it cannot be repaired to back it up. However the hard drive works fine on my brother's PC.

Edit: Would the reason be that my macbook doesn't have mavericks installed but hers does?

4. Yallo248 thread starter macrumors newbie

Oddly enough, my Mac recognized it again once and I was able to use it, but I accidentally unplugged it and have had no luck since then.

Disk utility even recognizes it, but cannot mount, repair or eject it. I am running Mavericks.

5. Yallo248 thread starter macrumors newbie

It actually may be my drive. Now the same thing happens with my PC. It can see the drive, but can't access it.