Mac noob has 2 questions

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by germanjulian, Jan 28, 2012.

1. germanjulian macrumors regular

Hi,

after much "yes I need a laptop/netbook" and "maybe I don't" the last 6 months I finally got a 13" macbook air and am very happy with it but I do have 2 questions/issues

1. The macbook doesn't see or can not connect when I use Channel 13 2472 Mhz and Channel 12 2467Mhz wireless. What is up with this? :confused: I dont think it is my Draytek router
    • CPU temps when using in iStat pro are normally around 50C doing nothing much (chrome, evernote) and the fan is at 2000rpm so all good but when I at the same time charge the battery it goes up to 75C to 80C. Is that normal when charging the battery (as in does it make the inside that much warmer?

Otherwise I am pretty chuffed about it, very nice and good for work, only issue I have is that I need to use office 2011 and there is no simple VISO viewer which is a shame (network diagrams) so if anyone knows of a simple small app please let me know. Also is AppTamer worth it or do you think manually closing "apps" to safe battery life is good enough?

2. posguy99 macrumors 6502a

Are you inside the US? If you are, why would you expect those to work?

3. germanjulian thread starter macrumors regular

ahhh ok... no I am in the UK aka europe. Can I enable it somehow? :cool:

anyone got an answer for number 2?

4. germanjulian thread starter macrumors regular

5. pgiguere1 macrumors 68020

pgiguere1

Don't worry about the CPU temp. There's a mechanism that will prevent it from damaging itself if it gets too hot by slowing it down and eventually shutting down the computer (that never happened to me though). 75-80C is a normal temperature. If it gets past 90C, make sure it's not on a surface than retains heat like fabric or a bed.

6. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

Don't worry about the temp... I've fried my MacBook Pro with 100+ degrees C temps and she still goes. When I opened it up the other day to clean dust and crap out of the heat sink I was surprised to see no scorch marks on the motherboard :eek: Other MBP's I've opened up had scorch marks on the motherboard and they were far less abused than mine haha ;)