mac noob needs help

Discussion in 'macOS' started by pcpshortbus, Dec 10, 2008.

1. pcpshortbus macrumors member

ok i just got a ibook g3 (yeah, i know im a little late) and have upgraded it as far as os x 10.3.9... I am not looking to upgrade to 4.x, but i am having some problems with the 10.3.9. Many of the apps i download will bounce one time in the dock but not open. Maybe i havent upgraded all the softwares as recently as i can? I really dont know much about macs and need to figure out why i cant open the apps i download. thanks.

2. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

Make sure that the applications you downloaded are not "Intel only". They must be "Power PC" or "Universal". I hope that makes sense.

3. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

What kind of iBook G3? The early ones don't run Tiger very well. Also check for Universal apps.

4. pcpshortbus thread starter macrumors member

well im trying to run an ipod to computer music transfer to get all my music onto my computer. all the apps that i download will only jump once. im not sure if it has to do with quicktime or java or something like that. again, i dont know about macs (or computers in general) so i am trying to find out what might be the reason. in regard to your question, how can i tell which g3 i have?

5. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

He said he was running 10.3.9 (Pather).

Find the model number (not serial number) on your iBook and tell us what it is. That would help us determine what iBook G3 you have. This website will help you determine what model number you have if you can't find it. Scroll down to the iBook G3 sections.

6. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

But he wanted to run Tiger. I was advising against it.

7. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

I thought he was saying that he didn't want to upgrade to 10.4. Maybe I'm reading it wrong.

8. ingenious macrumors 68000

ingenious

On Panther, apps will only bounce once or do a number of other things that appears like they are "trying" to open if the application is not supported on Panther (i.e. it's a 10.4.x+ app.). Adobe apps do this.

9. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

*facepalm* Missed the "not". :p

10. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

Ha... when you said that, I thought maybe he made a typo and meant "now" instead of "not". Oh well.

11. pcpshortbus thread starter macrumors member

it is a powerpc 750

12. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

Just wanted to say if you are trying to use Senuti (since it is the most commonly recommended app for doing what you described) there will be no joy tonight since it requires 10.4 or 10.5. :(

If you are using other apps, be sure to check their system requirements on their sites to see if that is what you are running into.

13. pcpshortbus thread starter macrumors member

ok cool thanks, that was one of the programs i was trying. the other is music rescue. do you know of any that will work on 10.3.9? i cant find any on google