Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gtoddh

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 23, 2011
I just got a MBP today. It came with Snow Leopard but I'm eligible for a free upgrade to Lion. I have little to no experience with OSX, basically only what I've played with a little in the Apple store and what I've read about. Should I get to know SL or should I just go ahead and upgrade to Lion and learn to use that? I'm a pretty savvy PC user and I know that early releases of all software have issues. I'm wondering if I should put in any time learning SL or not bother and just go with Lion.

Thanks,

Todd

waynep

macrumors 6502
Dec 31, 2009
Since you just bought your first Mac, I would upgrade to Lion now. Your system should still be pretty much like a fresh install of SL and therefore you will have less problems than someone who has spent years customizing things. Also learning the Lion way of things, scrolling etc, you won't have to relearn later. I went to Lion two days ago and really like it.

I was a Mac noob in January when I bought mine. I am in my late 40's and had been using Windows ever since Windows existed.

I suggest going to Lion and get iWork. You'll be in good shape.

Last edited:

Steve's Barber

macrumors 6502a
Jul 5, 2011
Wayne is correct. Start using Lion now and before you get attached to any Snow Leopard habits. Some things have changed.

r0k

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2008
Detroit
I agree, Upgrade to Lion now.

Lion is more "advanced" than Leopard in that it "hides" more trivial decisions from the user. Apple's approach is to make an OS X computer more and more like an information appliance that "just works" and you aren't faced with constant decisions and interruptions of your day. The only things on OS X that are still a bit intrusive are updates that require a reboot. As more and more software starts to use Lion's full capabilities, these will be less so as well as your computer could (someday) automatically apply an update and reboot and pick up right where you left off including open windows and documents you hadn't bothered to "save" just as you left them.

Jagardn

macrumors 6502a
Apr 18, 2011
I agree with earlier posts, if you go with Lion now, you won't have to re-learn some of the UI differences. I personally love Mission Control though everyones opinion varies. The only real problem I've had so far is that every so often Mail doesn't respond to mouse clicks, but only in Fullscreen mode. Other than that I Love it.

Rowf

macrumors regular
Feb 7, 2011
I'd say go with Lion.

I've only been using Mac since Christmas and had just about got to grips with Snow Leopard a couple of months ago.
I was a bit wary of the upgrade, having experienced the Xp to Vista mess, but downloaded Lion this morning and am glad that I did.
It seems much more intuitive than Snow Leopard with some really nice, useful features.
Nice new Mac and a brand new system, sounds good to me.:)

gtoddh

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 23, 2011
Thanks for all the info. I upgraded to Lion. So far so good!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.