Mac Noob

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Linuxpro, Feb 1, 2015.

1. Linuxpro, Feb 1, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2015

Linuxpro macrumors regular

My wife is not terribly computer savvy.

I want to buy her an entry level Mac. Suggestions? Mac book air?

I have never used a mac. I am very proficient with the Linux/Unix/BSD bash.

My wife has used a mac, but never owned one.

The alternative is to just buy an ultra light laptop and put Linux on it for her.

:cool:

2. BrettApple, Feb 1, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2015

BrettApple macrumors 65816

BrettApple

I'd say go for the 13" MacBook Air. Hard to go wrong with it for an entry level Mac.

There are rumors about a new 12" one with a retina display, but we don't know how far off it would be. And Apple won't say anything about it of course.

The other option is the base model 13" MacBook Pro with Retina. It is faster and has a much, much better screen than the air. But it is thicker, lasts a little less on battery, and more expensive.

If you have an Apple store/Best Buy or something around you, I'd take a quick look just to compare sizes and screens. For 90% of consumers, the MacBook Air is a great fit.

Also, do note that whatever you buy it with is what it will have. The RAM is soldered in the new Retina Macs and the MacBook Air. So if you want more than 4GB, get it up front. I'd go with 8GB on the Air for the future. Newer OSes, bigger applications, etc.

EDIT: Just noticed your location. Probably not any Best Buys around there :)

If price is a factor, do consider the refurbished section of Apple's site.

3. Linuxpro thread starter macrumors regular

The 13" :apple: macbook air sounds like a good choice. :D

There are at least 300 Apple authorized resellers in Singapore. A lot of people do not know that Singapore is the IT, and banking center of Southeast Asia. But unfortunatlely most things cost from 50-150% more than in the USA. :(

I am a US Citizen. I work in Singapore. :cool:

I will be in the USA on business in a few weeks. I will stop in Best Buy for a look.

Is officemax still around?

Thanx