Mac not booting fully - suitcase problem??

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by videoterrorist, Aug 2, 2007.

1. videoterrorist macrumors newbie

Hi All,

Having reinstalled my 2Ghz Intel iMac from scratch I then went about installing CS2 suite, Office and Extensis Suitcase. I performed all software updates (10.4.10) and the machine was running fine. However the next day when turning the machine on OSX would not fully load, it loaded my wallpaper and then only got as far loading the spotlight icon (top right) the machine then froze!! The only was I could get round it was to reinstall OSX again, however the issue has happen a further three times!

I've also setup another machine in the office with different OS discs, but the same software and the same thing had happened!

Anyone got any ideas? Could it be Suitcase ???
    Help:confused:

2. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Hi there and welcome to MR.

Because this may not specifically be a design and graphics issue and the fact that other forums within MR receive a lot more traffic dedicated to trouble-shooting, I've moved this thread into Mac Basics and Help.

Personally, I would try an install without Suitcase and use FontExplorer instead; it's free and is more than an adequate replacement. I don't know what version of Suitcase you have, but if it's not a Univeral binary then I could imagine that causing problems.

3. miniConvert macrumors 68040

miniConvert

Hi,

Have you tried booting into safe mode rather than doing a reinstall each time? That'd let you remove software that you think could be causing a problem.

I'd also advise installing the applications one-at-a-time and rebooting after each one. Then you'll know which one breaks your Mac.

Good luck!

4. a cat *miaow* macrumors regular

HI, this sounds like the same problem I always have when updating the OS. On every update all the fonts become activated (I take it you a have a lot of fonts too) which slows the start up time - and seems to freeze at the same point you said.. I left mine for around 10-15 minutes and they do start up.. if you could start it up in target disk mode and maybe move the fonts out of the fonts folder before restarting I think it would work..
    I've never heard anyone else have this same problem but i've had it on a laptop - imac and G5 so know it's not a hardware problem

5. videoterrorist thread starter macrumors newbie

I've now wiped Suitcase & everything seems fine :) Using Font Book for now & gonna give Font Explorer a try - thanks!