Mac not booting

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by HarrisonJones, Oct 17, 2014.

1. HarrisonJones macrumors newbie

Hi, I have a mac running mountain lion and when I went to boot it up it's been stuck on the apple logo with the swirling thing. I tried holding Command + r to reinstall but it just restarted the mac when I clicked continue.

I have Boot Camp installed is there anyway to fix the Mac OS from Windows?

also I Booted in verbose and single user mode and they both got stuck at IOThunderboltSwitch I have not thinderbolt devices

2. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

3. HarrisonJones thread starter macrumors newbie

How do I check?

4. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

Click on the black upper Apple symbol and select 'About This Mac', more info button.

Edit: My bad.

5. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

Yeah, but it won't boot. ;)

Try sticking your serial number in here : https://selfsolve.apple.com

6. HarrisonJones thread starter macrumors newbie

Sorry for late reply but it is a late 2012 27" imac

7. bhogan002 macrumors newbie

2009 MacBook air not booting. Blank screen. Sometimes Apple logo comes up. Nothing happening now. Installed Yosemite.problem ever since I installed. Serial no: W80380FU9A7. Any help would be appreciated!

8. Fishrrman macrumors G4

I know it's too late to really help at the moment, but I'd like to present a concept to you:

THIS is why a savvy Mac user ALWAYS has at his/her disposal a SECOND bootable drive.

It can be either a bootable backup created with CarbonCopyCloner or SuperDuper, or a separately-created drive with a copy of the OS on it.

Just connect, and go. This can help you recover from drive hardware/software problems. (Aside, if it's some kind of hardware failure with the Mac itself, it can't "get by" that...)

Again, I know this doesn't help at the moment, but it's something you should consider once you get things together again...

9. bhogan002 macrumors newbie

Thanks for the reply...I don't have either...is there anything else I can do?

10. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy