Mac not doing simple things like copying files and other general tasks?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by canada eh, May 13, 2010.

1. canada eh macrumors regular

For the fast few days I have been having problems with my Mac on its overall reliability.

A few days ago I took the back off of my MBP to clean some of the dust, and put it back together. now when I start up I get a bar under the spinning gear that disappears after a few seconds. My start up and shut down have been really slow and often hangs on shut down, when I first installed Snow leopard, every thing was instant.

Recently I have been having weird application crashes and problems with installing programs from a DMG (steam). iTunes has given me errors and so has Mail, it just suddenly crashed and asked me to rebuild the messages constantly until a re-boot.

I would re-install OS X and use my time machine back ups to restore all of my files but, I think I may be on my last licence of iWork, I went to install it on another mac and it tole me it was invalid, so I am worried of loosing my current licence. Unless that is carried transferred in a Time Machine back up.

I use Mobile Internet as my main internet connection, it is all I can get as I am in a rural area, and I have been having problems with it initializing some times and connecting. My ISP is Bell Canada.

I would just like some advise on what is going on, when I took the back off I didn't touch anything, and I have done my own hard disk upgrade months ago.

2. GadgetGeek71 macrumors 6502

Sounds like an ESD problem. Did you ground yourself before touching the electronics inside?

3. canada eh thread starter macrumors regular

I don't even think I have touch the motherboard or any other circuit board, just the plastic at the back where the dust would have collected. I have done it before and no problems, other than these little software problems the computer has worked great for me.

4. canada eh thread starter macrumors regular

OK I got fed up with it and did a full re-install, and every thing seems to be fine now. it got to the point where it would hang at start up and even before it would hang it was like 5 mins. I just hope my Adobe CS3 and iWork will work with licences after I put them back from my time machine back up.