Mac not loading OS properly

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by chrissmash, Apr 18, 2011.

1. chrissmash macrumors regular

Hi Guys, strange problem started over the weekend, I have a previous generation Macbook Pro bought last April running Snow Leopard. I switched it on and it allows me to login as normal (with a warning that my startup disk is almost full which may be the problem). Once I login it loads my background and does not load any further except Safari opening up (which I request it to do on startup) does anyone have any idea what is happening? I can browse the web but cannot see any way to start applications or load finder windows. Well and truly stumped. I am happy to wipe it and reinstall as I have a complete time machine back up but it's still not helping :(

Any feedback would be appreciated.

2. atlanticza macrumors 6502a

atlanticza

3. fivenotrump macrumors 6502

extremely unlikely

4. Dalton63841 macrumors 65816

Dalton63841

Did you know you can open a Finder window from Safari? Clear the URL bar, and type
    Code:
    /Users/
    then press Enter. If a Finder window pops up, then navigate to /Applications/Utilities/ and launch Disk Utility. Try Repairing Permissions. Then reboot.

5. old-wiz macrumors G3

There are NO viruses in the wild for OSx. People are so quick to blame any problem on a "virus" and it shows a lack of knowledge of OSx.

To the OP it sounds like your HDD is simply getting too full. Try getting rid of some unneeded stuff.