Mac not seeing all partitions on NTFS Firewire Drive

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by tool80, Dec 27, 2010.

1. tool80 macrumors newbie

tool80

Hey all,

Im not 100% sure i'm in the right forum with this question, but here it goes..

I've had my MBP since August of this year, but only recently connected an NTFS drive via Firewire for the first time. Im primarily going to be moving the data from the NTFS drive onto an HFS drive.. My only issue is that my MBP is only recognizing one out of two partitions on the NTFS drive (The "first" partition. If I connect back to my Windows PC, everything is recognized fine. I've since moved the data that i want to transfer from Partition 2 to Partition 1 and i'm able to access it correctly, however i'm confused as to why this is happening.. (still fairly new to MACs)

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

2. Deomitrus macrumors member

Are both of those partitions formatted as NTFS?

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

NTFS (Windows NT File System)
    • Read/Write NTFS from native Windows.
    • Read only NTFS from native Mac OS X
    • To Read/Write/Format NTFS from Mac OS X: Install NTFS-3G for Mac OS X (free)
    • Some have reported problems using Tuxera (approx 33USD).
    • Native NTFS support can be enabled in Snow Leopard, but is not advisable, due to instability.
    • Maximum file size: 16 TB
    • Maximum volume size: 256TB

4. tool80 thread starter macrumors newbie

tool80

Ive been away for a few days with the holidays...
    Yes both partitions are NTFS, and there are no ridiculously large files on it.. I dont mean to resurrect a dead post, but im still curious as to whats going on here...

GGJstudios, i appreciate the info on NTFS, all i am trying to do is read the drive with the mac so the information can be copied to an external HFS drive.. there will be ZERO changes to the NTFS partitions through the mac...

Thanks again