Mac not starting up after upgrading ram

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by natatos, Dec 10, 2010.

1. natatos macrumors regular

Ok so I upgraded my MacBook's ram tonight and now when I turn it on the Apple logo an spining thing come up then after a bit the screen dims and it says, "you need to restart your computer. Hold down the power button untill it turns off, then press the power button again." I had two 1gb sticks and I put in a 2gb so I'll have three. I put the new one in the top slot but accidentally poped up the bottom one too. I've tryed about four times and put the original one in and get the same results. Could it be that I didn't push it in enough. If I can't get it to work tonight can i take it to the Apple store for them to see, and will I still be covered, I know they don't cover the new ram.

2. devilstrider macrumors 6502a

Man you may have screwed something up by not making sure they were secure the first time. I would put the originals back in and take it to apple. I would not even say anything about putting any new ram in it. Where ever you got the ram exchange them for another pair and be more careful next time. Some of you guys are too quick to out the unit back together without double checking things.

3. devilstrider macrumors 6502a

4. natatos thread starter macrumors regular

The brand is kingston I made sure it was all the right specs. Also incase it matters its a late 2008 unibody kind, I put it in this part of th forums because before people at the Apple store called it a pro and because there where more people viewing it.

5. QuakeProd, Dec 10, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2010

QuakeProd macrumors member

QuakeProd

it is possible that its not in there all the way. if possible you can slide it in with some slight pressure and if you have a small flatehead screwdriver you can used that to keep some slight pressure as youre fitting it in (i know the spaces might be a lil tight, but not for sure on the 08 model.) I always figured if it was a problem like that, the computer wouldnt even come on and it would beep 3x's indicating something wrong with your RAM...maybe things have changed.

i would hate to think you may have moved around or scratched that surface the pins sit on in the memory slot or that the RAM is bad...but you might have to be Prrretty rough with it to do that.. ( just the last straw worse-case scenario)

im surprised the apple store didnt tell you to reinstall the OS. when my book did that, they suggested that.

6. natatos thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the help I got it to work last night. I was able to get the the screen to choose what drive to boot from and then decided to try my Ubuntu live cd to see if the computer still worked but I cound't find it. Then I rememberd the Snow Leopard disk so from the utilitys on it it said that the ram was working so I ended up reinstalling it and restoring a time machine backup. So it works just fine.