Mac not using my custom DNS!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by GeekOFComedy, Jan 23, 2012.

1. GeekOFComedy macrumors 6502a

Hi there,

On my Mac when I go to system preferences, network, choose airport and press advanced. I click the DNS tab and enter my values however my mac will not use them even after reboot!

There's nothing wrong with the DNS because when I hookup my iPad to my iPhone via mobile hotspot and I tell the iPad to use a custom DNS and reboot, IT WORKS!

Why wont my Mac use the DNS values I gave it to use!?

Also, PS I installed the DNS on my router so when I'm at home it works but I need to use this DNS on the go!

I'm on OS X Lion btw!

2. jzuena macrumors 6502a

jzuena

In your TCP/IP tab, is your IP address set to "Manually" or "Using DHCP"? Based on the way you describe it working at home but not otherwise, without describing setting up multiple Location configurations it sounds like you are using DHCP. One of the DHCP configuration items sent by the server is to configure your DNS servers. It sounds like OSX won't override the DHCP settings for DNS servers if you provide manual entries (which may or may not be correct behavior according to the RFCs defining how DHCP works).

3. GeekOFComedy thread starter macrumors 6502a

I set it to manual and entered the Automatic settings a mobile hotspot from an iphone would give you and made it in a new location called "portable". I rebooted yet no change! :(