Mac - Notational Velocity / iOS Notesy / Win ???

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by akm3, May 26, 2011.

1. akm3 macrumors 68020

So I have a GREAT setup that I love, using Dropbox to keep things in sync, where on the Mac I run notational velocity and iPhone/iPad Notesy, which is working great. But I'd also like to get for my work windows machine a searchable, fast, text-editor that can access the .txt files in my dropbox just like notational velocity and I'm coming up empty.

Anything like this for Windows that will work with/sync with what is already working great for me on the Mac and iOS?

2. akm3 thread starter macrumors 68020

So I've continued searching and come up with zilch. is there no windows equivalent to notational velocity? It's even open source, I'm surprised no one has tried to port it.

3. akm3 thread starter macrumors 68020

For anyone who cares, someone finally did this, and it's called ResophNotes.

This is a "notational velocity like" donationware application that runs on windows and completes the circle of text files syncing to dropbox between windows, mac and iOS for me.

4. Nikh macrumors regular

Why don't you use just ordinary text editor (like notepad++, or other)?
    That's all just to open file from dropbox, edit it, and save to it's place.

5. akm3 thread starter macrumors 68020

The beauty of notational velocity isn't that you can edit text documents, it's the keystroke driven ability to quickly search for both titles and content of your text files, quickly create and destroy documents, and then make it disappear. You don't need the mouse, it pops up, you do your thing, and it's gone. It's kind of like Spotlight for text documents.

So when an idea comes to me, I hit my key command, BOOM, and I'm out, without interrupting whatever else was coming to me navigating to dropbox, making a new file, etc. And with Mac/iOS and now Win support to one thing, I can mimic that workflow on all my platforms.