Mac now resetting itself to original state

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by cherrybomb, Mar 19, 2008.

1. cherrybomb macrumors regular

cherrybomb

okay so the problem is a little more detailed than the title states. I'll begin to break it down for you:

Basically, I just downloaded the new update for safari (PowerPC) for my G4, and as the software update would usually do, it asked me to restart my computer. I had done so, and when I re-opened Safari, I had lost all my saved bookmarks (both bookmarks bar and menu). Then when I tried to open my email, it asked me to enter my POP mail details again, which meant that I have now lost all of my saved emails. I have checked back by signing into my email on the gmail website, but it seems to have deleted the older emails.

Now included amongst those emails was my MacHeist bundle passwords email which I have now lost also, and I didn't even download and install all of the programs (as I was waiting until I upgraded to Leopard).

Does anyone have a direct email address to MacHeist so I could maybe contact them and get them to send another email out to me? Do you think they would understand my situation, and have proof that I had bought the bundle?

Any help would be super, thank you in advance!

Worried mac fan,

Cherrybomb

2. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Send them an email, and see what they can do.

3. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

You didn't happen to rename your home folder did you?

4. Keebler macrumors 68030

or go back to your latest backup which should have everything saved.....

you did back up right???

5. cherrybomb thread starter macrumors regular

cherrybomb

As far as I am aware, I haven't renamed my home folder. It is the same as it has always been.

Unfortunately no, I know that's stupid of me, but the external drive I have is full up.

I feel so stupid...:(

6. cherrybomb thread starter macrumors regular

cherrybomb

ok, good news, I have just found my Mac Heist emails through a search on my gmail inbox. but now I have another question:

I have sent the emails to my inbox, on the gmail email inbox, but when I refreshed my apple mail inbox, they didn't show up.

How do I get these emails to show in the apple mail inbox?

Sorry if I am confusing anyone here!

Thanks in advance :)

7. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

In Gmail's settings, in the POP3/IMAP settings, set POP3 settings to download all messages.

Or even better, switch to IMAP so you have both Mail and the web client (and everywhere else) synchronized.

8. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

The problem with IMAP is that you can then lose all your emails in one go :(.

9. cherrybomb thread starter macrumors regular

cherrybomb

okay people, I now have new problems. Since shutting down my powerbook last night, and now booting up today, my mac has restored itself to the ugly state it was at last night again.

Firstly, my dock applications have disappered, and I am left with the standard dock icons you get when you boot up your mac for the first time. Also I clicked on the apple mail app, and now it is asking me to 'again' set up my POP mail details.

I haven't the slightest clue what's going on with the mac, and my apple care/warranty has run out. What I did want to ask was if there is a way of restoring the system to an older date (like a few weeks/months) back?

This all begun to happen after updating to that stupid safari 3.1....:(

I guess it's my fault for updating, but I didn't think it would cause this much hassle....

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks