Mac Observer forum Hacked and Defaced?

srobert

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 7, 2002

I've been receiving spam from the Mac Observer forums.

Their dorum site appears to have been lightly defaced: "HaCKED BY eXpL01tEr Forum Index"

Forum is down.

I hope I just didn't end up on another spammer's list.

Dang I hate Vandals! Dumbest form of crime.

Here is the content on the third spam email I've received within the last hour:

ur forum was hacked administrator deleted new user was made to control the forum lol!
I'm not impressed by hackers. If they really want to impress me, they'd also have to tell us where they live.

Edit: Looks like everything is back to normal.

XNine

macrumors 68040
srobert said:

I've been receiving spam from the Mac Observer forums.

Their dorum site appears to have been lightly defaced: "HaCKED BY eXpL01tEr Forum Index"

Forum is down.

I hope I just didn't end up on another spammer's list.

Dang I hate Vandals! Dumbest form of crime.

Here is the content on the third spam email I've received within the last hour:

I'm not impressed by hackers. If they really want to impress me, they'd also have to tell us where they live.

Edit: Looks like everything is back to normal.
I think you need to take a long look at the world and consider what hackers have been able to do for YOU. Not all hackers go after a small website designed for a technical community. That's not the way to infamy (spell?). Most of it is political, monetary, or religious targets.

Most likely it was a common exploit and some script kiddy, instead of a real, bonafied hacker.

eva01

macrumors 601
Feb 22, 2005
Gah! Plymouth
more than likely its because the website uses phpBB. Actually i can almost say with 100% certainty thats why it was hacked cause phpBB is the most worthless piece of crap software EVER.

srobert

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 7, 2002
Apparently they found and plugged the leak:

Greetings, folks!

By now I'm sure you're aware that our forums were hacked this morning. That's the bad news. The good news, actually, is multi-faceted.

1) Thanks to many of you folks notifying us, we caught it pretty quickly... they were only hacked for approximately 20 minutes. We do appreciate you taking the time out of your day to tell us!

2) We were able to restore from a backup less than 12 hours old.

3) We found (and plugged) the leak. Apparently, we had an old version of the forum software sitting on our webserver and, though it wasn't published, someone found it and that's apparently used an old security hole to get in. The good news is that we've removed that and the only publicly accessible version is the latest and greatest, complete with all the security patches. So we're all in good shape going forward.

Again, our apologies for the minor intrusions into your e-mail box this morning. Enjoy the forums and thanks for participating and reading TMO.

Best regards,

-Dave & Bryan
But I do agree. I find phpBB somehow annoying.

trainguy77

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2003
Onizuka said:
I think you need to take a long look at the world and consider what hackers have been able to do for YOU. Not all hackers go after a small website designed for a technical community. That's not the way to infamy (spell?). Most of it is political, monetary, or religious targets.
Very true Hackers and Crackers are sometimes helpful. This is a story about a cousin of mine. http://www.theos.com/dispute.html