Mac Office 2008 Update 12.0.1 Problem. Help?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by beau21, May 5, 2008.

1. beau21 macrumors member

beau21

hey guys,

so i got a pop-up today when I opened Word 2008 on my mac that I needed an update. so i went through it like it was installing and got near the end but then this message popped up when i tried to select the hard drive for the installation location..

any ideas on what this could be and how i can fix it?

thanks

2. hodgjy macrumors 6502

You have to update MS Autoupdate first. Then run Autoupdate again, and you'll be able to install 12.0.1.

3. beau21 thread starter macrumors member

beau21

how do i do this?

4. jdbasho macrumors newbie

same problem, no luck

hodgjy,

I have the same problem as beau21. MS Autoupdate was working fine on my newly upgrade Office for Mac 2005 -> 2008 for the few updates that came through. I think the problem began when I had to do an archive/install of OS X leopard, but I can't be sure. I believe Office 2008 was one of the many programs I had to re-install after that procedure.

I tried following your link to MS Autoupdate (thinking there might be a newer version available), but it just brought me to the Mactopia Office downloads page: http://www.microsoft.com/mac/downloads.mspx

I tried specifying the MS Autoupdate for Mac 2.1.1 on that page, downloaded it and installed it, but then tried to autoupdate the 12.0.1 security update again and it failed as before. Same error as beau21.

Any ideas?

Thanks!
    John Dean
    Rochester, NY

5. Achiever macrumors 6502

Achiever

If you cannot get the autoupdate to install 12.0.1, you can also try this: uninstall all of Office 2008 from your Mac. Delete all files, drag them into Trash, empty the Trash. Once that's done, re-install Office '08. From there, you can search for updates and it should provide you directly with the SP1 update (12.1). From some accounts, doing it this way actually speeds up the load time of Office dramatically, though I cannot attest to that personally.

BTW, the MS autoupdater should be found in your application folder in the Office subfolder (unless the user has moved it). Even though it is called the "auto-updater" I have never had it work on my machine (Office '04) without me clicking on the updater and requesting a manual check for updates.

6. vansouza macrumors 68000

vansouza

Same error, no joy

I can run Word and the auto updater informs me that there is an update, it downloads the update and then I get the same error as the OP.

I have tried the solutions posted except for uninstalling Office and beginning all over.

If anyone has any other suggestions I would be happy to entertain them. The update worked on one iMac and my MBP but not on one other iMac.

Thanks...

7. Siron macrumors 6502

Siron

Same problem here although I haven't uninstalled and reinstalled. Installed updated Installer first.
    Alan

8. jdbasho macrumors newbie

Success!

I tried this (uninstalling and starting from scratch). I'm happy to say it worked perfectly, autoupdating with SP1 afterwards. Thanks much!!