Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kahalu'u Bob

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 9, 2007
Honolulu
I loaded the new update for Mac Office 2011, update 14.5.0, and it crashed Outlook (no main window). I reloaded from TimeMachine and went back to the previous version.

I don't know if this problem is universal, but it certainly seems common. If you have not already tried this update, I would suggest that you wait until Microsoft sorts this out. It is a real nuisance if the bug disables Outlook on your machine!

johnnyf50

macrumors newbie
May 20, 2015
Brisbane, Australia
I loaded the new update for Mac Office 2011, update 14.5.0, and it crashed Outlook (no main window). I reloaded from TimeMachine and went back to the previous version.

I don't know if this problem is universal, but it certainly seems common. If you have not already tried this update, I would suggest that you wait until Microsoft sorts this out. It is a real nuisance if the bug disables Outlook on your machine!

Yep. It is giving me all kinds of pain.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009

There is now an Office 14.5.1 update to resolve this. It's not in Autoupdate right now, but it's here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=47307

J jacobson

macrumors newbie
May 20, 2015
mac outlook 2012 14.5.0 - crash!

I had the same thing happen. Started using Apple Mail after many years using Outlook. Lost a lot of history.

Kahalu'u Bob

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 9, 2007
Honolulu
If it does not resolve the issue, it is a nuisance to rebuild Outlook from TimeCapsule to go back to the old version. I have already done that once, and would prefer not to do it again. That's what I have to lose.

So, you are correct, he did say it resolves the issue. I would like confirmation from someone who had the issue and tried the new update that it really works before I try it again. The current version is working fine. I will update at some point, but prefer to do so when I am sure the problem has been corrected.

Kahalu'u Bob

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 9, 2007
Honolulu
Just loaded it on one Mac and it worked.

I would caution that William Smith at OfficeforMacHelp.com writes (two days ago):

"Four days after releasing the update as a download on its website Microsoft has yet to release the update via its AutoUpdate utility. Given the severity of the issue and the quick response (one week after releasing the 14.5.0 update), Microsoft may be slowly rolling out the new update as it vets it with customers. That’s unconfirmed.

Customers running Yosemite who haven’t yet updated to version 14.5.0 should update no further than 14.4.9 until Microsoft releases the 14.5.1 update via AutoUpdate."

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
If it does not resolve the issue, it is a nuisance to rebuild Outlook from TimeCapsule to go back to the old version. I have already done that once, and would prefer not to do it again. That's what I have to lose.

So, you are correct, he did say it resolves the issue. I would like confirmation from someone who had the issue and tried the new update that it really works before I try it again. The current version is working fine. I will update at some point, but prefer to do so when I am sure the problem has been corrected.
As I said, it resolved the issue and works fine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.