Mac office 2011 family, use 1 licence on a PC

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by MrMister111, Jan 31, 2016.

1. MrMister111 macrumors 68000

Bought MS office 2011 family pack which has 3 users/activations allowed. Do you know of any can be put on a PC?

I don't want or need the 365, want it non rented/subscription. 2011 us enough for me. Want MS office not libre etc.

Can't find site on MS to check, only for 365 etc. It's just I want to use 1 activation on a PC, we currently only have 1 used on our iMac, I bought the 3 user in anticipation of getting a Macbook later, which will in summer think.

Thanks

2. chscag macrumors 68000

No, your Mac Office license is only good for installation on a Mac. You would need to purchase a Windows version (Office 2013, or stand alone Office 2016 for Windows). Microsoft is all about getting the most $ from you. o_O

3. MrMister111 thread starter macrumors 68000

Ok thanks is what I expected but as the new 365 allows 5 activations of mixed PC and Mac thought (hoped!) maybe I could.

I don't want a yearly subscription office either. An older version is fine for me, thinking of a surface so need a office version but have to factor in the cost.

What's the last version where you can just buy outright and ideally multiple licences in one purchase?

4. chscag macrumors 68000

I may be wrong but I don't believe Microsoft has ever issued a version of Office with multiple licenses that could be interchanged between a Mac and PC. I keep a 3 X install version of Mac Office 2011 and also a 1 X install version of Office 2010 for that very reason so I can use Office on both my Macs and PC.

5. MrMister111 thread starter macrumors 68000

Thanks. So what's the last Windows without subscription and multiple user?

6. AtomicDusk macrumors member

Office 365 does indeed offer mixed installs. I have a subscription through work and it installs on my mac and pc.

7. chscag macrumors 68000

The OP does not want a subscription. And yes, Office 365 does offer mixed installs but as far as I know, MS has never offered a stand alone version of Office that could be installed on both a Mac and PC. That's what he's looking for.