MAC Office Upgrade 2008 -2011 woes

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by osxabsd, Jun 19, 2011.

1. osxabsd macrumors member

We bought Office 2008 from a physical store with the promise of the free upgrade to 2011 (November 2010). We installed 2008 using the activation keys supplied, and then later upgraded to 2011 via download. No new keys were given with the upgrade (presumably the old keys were valid since the upgrade worked fine). We got a new mac and tried to install the software from a Office 2011 back up dvd that we order at upgrade time. The 2008 activation keys do not work. Any ideas on what to do.

(I have opened an issue with Microsoft).

2. AlanShutko macrumors 6502a

Upgrade keys are often funny. I don't have experience with Office, but with some other software, the key only works if you first install the old version, then run the updater to the new version. It's worth a try, since that's how you made it work the first time around.

3. dianeoforegon macrumors 6502a

dianeoforegon

Did you download the trial or did you use a link given to you for the upgrade? We've seen a lot of confusion over getting the free upgrade. You were supposed to send in for the upgrade. It required proof of purchase etc to qualify.

My understanding if you get keys for Office 2011. BTW, it doesn't include Outlook either.

4. Samuriajackon macrumors 6502

Samuriajackon

I had to uninstall everything Microsoft(including trial stuff) and i got the 2011 to work by installing just the 2011 Office, I didn't have to install the 2008 stuff first. Fun stuff :)

5. osxabsd thread starter macrumors member

Microsoft is saying that when I got the free 2011 upgrade there should have been a key sent in the email. I have not found that email in the archives yet, but I do not recall getting one. I'll report back later.