Mac Office

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by guklein, Dec 8, 2008.

1. guklein macrumors 6502a

If I use the Office for Mac...and send a document (word, excel,...) to a PC user. Will he open normally?

Sorry for the basic question. I am buying my first Mac! :)

Thank you.

2. amersault macrumors member

i believe so, so long as the .DOC or .XLS extensions are there.

i don't think Resource Forks are an issue w/ Office.

you will just need to make sure your version of Office and their version of Office are near the same version.

3. Moof1904 macrumors 65816

The latest version of Office introduces the ".docx" and ".xlsx" formats that may not be compatible with earlier versions of Office, depending on what plug-ins the recipient has. This isn't a cross-platform issue, rather, it's an issue with new file formats introduced by Microsoft in the latest versions of the Office products.

To ensure backwards compatibility no matter which platform, you may want to save your docs in the legacy ".doc" and ".xls" formats.

4. obdave macrumors member

Yes, this is correct. I have several .doc and .xls files on a shared volume that I sometimes update from the Mac, and sometimes from the XP machine. I have had zero issues with interoperability. The only issue for me is that I prefer how Office runs on the PC.

5. convergent macrumors 68000

convergent

You can actually set Mac Office 2008 to default to saving documents in the .doc and .xls format so that this isn't an issue.