.Mac on a MBP?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Hard-Hat-Mac, May 28, 2007.

1. Hard-Hat-Mac macrumors regular

Hi all,

I have my CC ready for when the new MBP is annouced. This will be my first Mac since I was five and had an Apple II. I was wondering if .Mac is really worth it? It has a promotional price of $69.95 right now and if it stays that way imight get it to try it out, but wanted to get the community's thoughts on it. I will be using my MBP primarily for Photo edititing and as a part of a portable music studio set-up.

Thanks in advace.

HHM

2. Gee macrumors 65816

Take the three month free demo of it first, see how it suits you.

3. jng macrumors 65816

jng

Do a search for .mac and you'll find several threads about .mac and whether or not it's worth it, etc.

4. odinsride macrumors 65816

odinsride

I'm nearing the end of my trial of .mac, and my thoughts are this:

It's very nice to have something tightly integrated with the OS ... i.e. push Publish on an iWeb site and your site is online. I mainly used .mac to host a website I made in iWeb. It has other features, many of which have free alternatives, such as online storage (gmail/snapdrive/imageshack/whatever), email (gmail/yahoo/hotmail), groups (yahoo groups), among other things.

I ended up going with a real webhosting company in the end though, because I like having the extra flexibility you get with that. I can do php/mysql if I want, have a real domain, etc.

It all comes down to what your needs are..if you just need something simple and easy to use then .mac definitely fits the bill...but you get a free trial so it doesn't hurt to check it out.

5. Kaiser Phoenix macrumors 6502

For me the @mac on ur email makes me feel part of a cult in a sense. People can immediately identify u with macs LOL whether that is a good thing or not is obviously up for you to decide.

Also having bookmarks, address books etc synced with your other family members for example also helps greatly.

I suppose it is a 'luxury' item in the sense that I dont really 'need' it but i guess by sacrificing a few beers for example per week I can continue to pay my subsricption LOL.

Also what I do is that whenever my friends by a new mac, and they dont want to get .mac, i ask them to get it for the promo and then i buy it off them so i never have to buy full price.