Mac on a pc

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Makube, Sep 27, 2008.

1. Makube macrumors member

Would it be possible to install mac os x on a pc? instead of having to buy a new computer, it would be nice to just have the OS. possible?

2. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

Yes, Apple supports it. They sell the supported copy at the Apple store. Call them at 1-800-my-apple and they will cheerfully explain how. :D

3. acxz macrumors regular

Hahaha :p

4. Much Ado macrumors 68000

Much Ado

5. acxz macrumors regular

*sigh*

Running OS X on non-Apple hardware is NOT illegal. It breaches Apple's End User License Agreement, but it doesn't break the law.

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I guess you haven't taken the time to read the 43rd Amendment to the US Constitution:

7. pwn247 macrumors 6502

pwn247

Although it's not illegal, Apple can, and most certainly will prosecute the individual for doing that.

In fact, Apple is now making requests to the "torrent sites" asking for a log of the users who are uploading, and downloading, a version of the OS designed to work on non-Apple hardware.

If I were you, I would avoid it. If you just want the OS, buy a Mac Mini. ;)

8. macrem macrumors 65816

macrem

What you described is theft, then trying to make it run on non-Apple hardware is a breach of the EULA.

I don't understand why people don't just buy a Mac, and/or for PCs install Linux. Linux is free and legal on a PC and if you really want, there are instructions to make Linux look and behave like OS X (Leopard, or Tiger, etc.).

9. pwn247 macrumors 6502

pwn247

Exactly. :)

Although that Linux isn't OS X (it's close, but hardly close enough), it's a good UNIX-based alternative.

10. BobZune macrumors 6502a

Ugh ... this comes up once in a while. Can you name a SINGLE instance of Apple doing this to an end user? I am not advocating anyone to go do that, but the legal status of EULAs is shaky at best. Apple EULAs are generally more sensible than many others (e.g., family pack license).

Now if you started selling a lot of these systems, that's a different matter. Again, anyone can "prosecute" -- but whether they'll win is another question. Where would you find a jury who will prosecute a starving but technologically curious student? :)

As for your advice to get a Mac Mini, I'd agree with it.

11. Bosox3 macrumors regular

Bosox3

Not true..but nice try trying to scare this guy.
    Even if they were to do this..theres ways to cover your tracks on those torrent sites.

Just look up vids on youtube..theres alot of them out there...that shows you how to do this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=41Z0FJYBd5U

this video is old..so look for an updated one.

12. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

yet i can install osx on my pc using the retail leopard disk i paid for...

13. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

Duff-Man says.....please, not again. This subject has been done to death countless times over, with the same people making the same arguments. Let it go.

To the thread starter - have a search through the forum(s) and see just how many times this has been asked/answered already...everyone else, please just let the thread die a natural death....oh yeah!

14. .adam macrumors regular

1. No they won't
    2. No they're not.
    3. Torrent sites would tell Apple where to go.
    4. Stop being such a Mac zealot.

15. .adam macrumors regular

Duffman, do you not tire of typing those inane quotes before and after your posts?