.Mac on Touch/iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by s57, Sep 14, 2007.

1. s57 macrumors member

Has anyone tried how .mac mail and calendar work on iPhone or iPod Touch? If mail works, that would be a big step forward for people interested in a Touch as a PDA replacement. For the calendar, I would think that being limited to hot spots would still mean no usable calendar, but if you could edit it off-line somehow, it might be a work-around.

Finally, I suspect this is not in the cards, but what about synching the iPhone/Touch with .mac from the road? That would be a potentially cool feature, no?

2. jbazar macrumors newbie

.mac works on an iPod touch

I am even posting this message from an iPod touch. You can use any web 2.0 app online.

3. s57 thread starter macrumors member

That's good news. How does is stack up against the iPhone's native mail app (if you've seen both)? Is it relatively easy to read message titles etc that aren't optimized in terms of layout for such a small screen?

4. screensaver400 macrumors 6502a

Actually, .Mac mail doesn't work on my iPod touch. It loads, but you can't click on anything. It's because of the difficulties in implementing "hover" events versus "click" events with an interface that doesn't use a cursor.

5. s57 thread starter macrumors member

OK, this is what I feared. That's a bummer. I assume that it would be possible in principle to optimize the .mac interface for iPhone/Touch browsers, but then we're back to Apple not wanting customers to have E-mail on the Touch...

6. screensaver400 macrumors 6502a

Yeah. So much for "The Whole Internet."

I suppose you could access your .Mac mail through Gmail or something using Gmail's POP3 access. That kind of kills the niceties of .Mac, though.

7. YS2003 macrumors 68020

YS2003

So, does this mean the only way to synch up with .Mac is to plug into Mac via iTunes and press the "Sync" button?

8. aethelbert macrumors 601

When this thread was created, yes. After firmware 2.0, however, it is done wirelessly for content that would apply to an iPod.

9. YS2003 macrumors 68020

YS2003

I just bought the new iPod Touch 32G. Is it the "push" button in the setting section?