Mac on Windows 7?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Flynnstr, Apr 24, 2010.

1. Flynnstr macrumors newbie

Ok so I just got Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit today and I was messing around with the Windows XP Mode (Virtual Machine) and I was wondering if you could get Leopard or Snow Leopard to run instead of XP or even both (XP and :apple:) cause when I open Windows Virtual PC, I could pick my virtual machines and there is only 1 there and it's XP but what I was wondering is if you could get :apple: on the list or even get rid of XP and replace with :apple:?

*Thanks ahead*

2. larkost macrumors 6502a

Simple answer: No, not a chance. Not legally or technically.

The more complex answer is that the boot system behind MacOS X is sufficiently different from non-Apple Intel boxes that this would require a lot of engineering work, work that would not directly benefit Microsoft (so why would they do it and then give it away?). Add to that that Apple does not allow virtualization of MacOS X (other than MacOS X Server, on top of Apple-branded hardware), and you have both your technical and legal problems.

Oh and Apple has every right to disallow virtualization, since it is the EULA that gives you the right to use the software (otherwise you can't legally make the copy into memory), and this is explicitly in the EULA. So without agreeing to the EULA, you can't use the software.

3. Flynnstr thread starter macrumors newbie

Okay thanks, this idea was just a question if you could, cause I have my iBook still and it runs Tiger and I don't feel like upgrading the ram to 1gig and get Snow Leopard.

4. brucem91 macrumors 6502

Doesn't matter what RAM upgrade you do, the iBook will never run Snow Leopard. SL requires the computer to have an Intel Processor, which the iBook does not

5. Flynnstr thread starter macrumors newbie

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=URZVHKYMfZQ

6. 1ofthedavids macrumors regular

The video only proves you can upgrade the iBook to run Leopard, not Snow Leopard. Leopard still supported PPC, but Snow Leopard only supports x86. There's no hack or upgrade or anything available to install Snow Leopard on a PPC Mac (i.e. iBook).