Mac online Backup?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by argo063, Nov 8, 2011.

1. argo063 macrumors member

Hey People
    Looking for an online Backup. For photos. Will be a size of 300G so very large.
    Seen cashplan what i really because they send you a hard drive for you to put data on save uploading it. But they only do this in US :(
    Im From Australia.
    Is there any really good online backup out there with the feature ?
    what the best online backup software these days?
    Thanks

2. AuroraProject macrumors 65816

AuroraProject

300GB online may get kinda pricey. Why not go with an external Firewire or USB drive? Do you need access to the photos at a different location?

3. majordude macrumors 68020

majordude

Plus it would take a month to upload everything!

4. argo063 thread starter macrumors member

We got a backup on external hard drive. But thought it be good to backup photos. at cashplan only cost $4 per month for unlimited storage but it not australian :(. Carbonite is australian but only bring in the hard drive option next year :(. got any others?

5. NMF macrumors 6502a

NMF

I use CrashPlan. Not really sure what to recommend if you can't use that.

6. Neolithium macrumors 6502a

Neolithium

In your position I'd get a NAS and allow yourself remote access to the files. Probably way cheaper than 300GB worth of online storage and no need to upload images until Armageddon.

7. Blaine macrumors 6502a

Blaine

I'd just upload it all. It'll get there eventually. Is crashplan a good choice?

8. BasilFawlty macrumors 6502

BasilFawlty

I have several hundred gig of photos and video. I thought about doing off-line storage, but then settled on the 2TB ioSafe which I bought online from Costco.

9. jsgreen macrumors 6502

I use crashplan, the amount of data will not impact the cost of their service. I have similar volumes of data (hundreds of gigs) - I elected to go the slow route and just let it upload...but they also offer the option to load your backup onto a hard disk and ship it to them. Uploading did take a few days, but was fine and now I've got a great off site backup.

I haven't had to restore anything significant, but I have tested a few files and it works as advertised, so based on that I highly recommend crash plan. I also really like the reporting - daily I get confirmation of the backup status of the two machines I use their service for, and you can set alerts if a machine has not been backed up for some period of time.

10. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

The free Crashplan software has a feature that will allow you to backup to another computer over the Internet. So if you have a friend or relative that lives somewhere outside your home you and that friend can both install the Crashplan software and backup to each other. This might be a good solution for you.

11. Blaine macrumors 6502a

Blaine

12. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I have been using it several months. The backup daemon runs in the background and I never even see it. My backups just run in the background when I have them scheduled and it works perfectly for me.

They have an iOS app also that give you access to all your files.

13. Icaras macrumors 603

Icaras

I wish Apple would reinstate MobileMe backup into iCloud.

14. rogersmj macrumors 68020

rogersmj

I use BackBlaze. It's a lot like Mozy or other in-the-background services that just backs up all your stuff over your Internet connection when you're not using your computer. I pay $50 a year for complete peace of mind and unlimited backup space. If someone stole my computer or my house burned down, I would still be able to get all my data.

15. argo063 thread starter macrumors member

does cash plan do Seeded to australia?

might just have to do the long sync

How long does 180G take to upload on 1mb speed?

16. luke.mac1 macrumors member

About 16 or 17 days... if it's running at full speed.
    Realistically, you're probably look at a month of constant uploading...

17. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

No. The seeding service is only available in the US or to US Military personnel in US bases around the world.

I am assuming you mean that you've ran something like speedtest.net and it shows you that your upload speed is 1 mega bit per second?

That would make sense for an average ADSL line.

So you have 180 Gigabytes.

1 mega bit per second is 128 kilobytes per second.

180 Gigabytes is 188,743,680 kilobytes

So 188,743,680/128 = 1,474,560 seconds

That's 409.6 hours

That equals to ~ 17.1 days

18. Blaine macrumors 6502a

Blaine

Backblaze scares me. It says I have 79GB of stuff to back up (it will not let you pick specific directories), while I have exactly 125GB of files that I want backed up.

So I'm too chicken to use it. I don't want it excluding things.

19. argo063 thread starter macrumors member

Thinking a NAS or a Raid might be the way to go.
    Does any one know if you can detach one hard drive. eg every month or so you plug in the second hard drive then it mirrors it? Then the second hard drive you store off site. Is this possible?
    Been googling a bit about them. Is it easy to make one your self for mac and time machine?
    Any one found good web sites on this?
    Thanks

20. majordude macrumors 68020

majordude

When using online backup services, is your data safe? And I mean safe from ALL prying eyes, hackers, agencies, etc. Specifically looking at Crashplan.

21. ZBB macrumors newbie

I'm another Crashplan user.

We chose Crashplan over Backblaze since Crashplan will backup connected NAS drives, while Backblaze does not.

We have the family plan, so its backing up 3 Macs, plus our NAS (with ~1.1TB of data -- its connected to one of the Macs), and some personal files on my work laptop...

----------

Read this:
    http://support.crashplan.com/doku.php/articles/encryption_key

You can choose different levels of security with Crashplan, including using your own key...

22. Blaine macrumors 6502a

Blaine

23. Odd macrumors newbie

Odd

Crashplan here too

I'm on one of the slowest connections you can have (edge of civilization kind of thing), and uploading 200GB of photos took about 5 months. But I never noticed it running, there were no errors, and the computer's usually on anyway. Meanwhile I've got local backups to cover me too.
    Incremental backups are working well after the initial upload, usually taking half a day or so to finish a typical day's worth of pictures.

I do find it less disruptive and much more customizable than Time Machine.

24. 1goodidea macrumors member

I'm in Australia and use a time capsule for on-site and iDisk for offsite. Although for the iDisk I only have a subset of my photos backed up, basically all the flagged ones in iPhoto, 7-8GB.

I'm thinking of an off-site hard drive as well but I know I won't be diligent about updating it.

25. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

Another happy crashplan user here. Been using it for two Macs for over a year and nary an issue. It's dirt cheap and dead reliable. We have about 700 gigs stored there, but a 5Mb upload connection. In any case, once the initial seed is done it is extremely good about only uploading changes. Some services I used in the past were not so intelligent, and even reorganizing folders could cause it to re-upload huge amounts of data.