OS X Mac only games

Discussion in 'Mac and PC Games' started by mintfan7200, Feb 19, 2014.

1. mintfan7200 macrumors member

mintfan7200

Is there any games that are only avaliable on the Mac and not Windows ?

2. badawat macrumors newbie

Good question

I don't know of any other than titles that have been ported. Most of the titles I play on are cross platform games on Steam. I've bought the odd game on MacGameStore and GOG that were osx only - but I'm sure they were PC ports.

3. Antares macrumors 68000

Antares

There used to be plenty of Mac exclusive games, back in the day. Now, I don't know.

4. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

Eh.. well.. stuff like Bugdom 2 and Nanosaur 2?

Not much to brag about.... :eek:

5. Solomani macrumors 68030

Solomani

Ambrosia should come back from the dead, and release a modern version of Escape Velocity, the good ole Mac classic!

OK, so technically they're not dead. Just that they haven't made any Mac games since the PowerPC era? That's close to being dead.

6. Madd the Sane macrumors 6502a

Madd the Sane

Pangea Games used to make Mac-only games.

And there is an Intel version of Escape Velocity: Nova, which has expansion packs with the contents of the previous two EV games.

7. Cougarcat macrumors 604

There's actually a windows version of EV: Nova.

Ambrosia published my favorite platformer, Ferazel's Wand, which was Mac-only. I'm really sad it never got an OS X port.

8. Solomani macrumors 68030

Solomani

I believe that EV Nova no longer works on OSX after Lion. :( It's a shame they never updated it for modern OSX versions.

9. kitsunestudios macrumors regular

Yeah, it just doesn't make sense to be Mac-only anymore. The user base is too small, the vast majority of Mac-compatable gaming engines are cross-platform, and Apple's underlying APIs are based on open standards like OpenGL and OpenCL.

Old Mac-only favourites: Dark Castle, Dungeon of Doom, The Manhole, The Journeyman Project, Apeiron and Escape Velocity.

10. n8mac macrumors 6502

I believe Freeverse was Mac only for awhile, but then released their games on Windows, now they just do stuff for iOS/Android.

Then there was Marathon, not sure if that had a Windows release or not.

I remember getting my first Mac, an iMac loaded with Nanosaur and Bugdom and the fx could barely keep up. Those were the days :)

11. Solomani macrumors 68030

Solomani

Yes. Marathon finally has a Windows version in the modern post-Microsoft-Bungie era. That's the current semi-supported Marathon open source (Aleph One) that's up on Bungie's website. OSX and Windows and Linux.

I commend them that they "updated" the graphics textures in these versions.

12. Madd the Sane macrumors 6502a

Madd the Sane

Marathon 2 had a Windows port, back in the day. The source code of that port was lost, however.

That said, some Mac games, like Prince of Destruction, used Mac-specific features, like MacIntalk (text-to-speech).

13. Solomani macrumors 68030

Solomani

Wow! What memories... you just reminded me of all the old AppleTalk (Mac networking) games!

14. Madd the Sane macrumors 6502a

Madd the Sane

I sadly never got to play multiplayer Mac games over AppleTalk, and due to the removal of AppleTalk in 10.6, I probably never will :(

15. n8mac macrumors 6502

Myst (1993) was out for awhile before being ported to Windows. Unfortunately our family didn't have a Mac back then and I didn't get to play it until 1995 on the Saturn.

Can't think of anything modern though.

16. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

LOL... IPX too? :p