Resolved Mac only recognizes 400GB out of 750GB?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by sonicrobby, Jul 5, 2014.

1. sonicrobby, Jul 5, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2014

sonicrobby macrumors 68020

sonicrobby

Im not sure why this is happening, I tried installing a Steam game on my mac and it says not enough storage.
    Even when using omnidisk sweeper it tells me i only have 381GB available. I don't have any partitions on the ssd.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

It seems like for some reason it is only recognizing about 380GB of my 750GB. Is there a fix?

EDIT:

Found another partition in disk utility, what is this? Why did it appear?
    [​IMG]

2. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

Your SSD is formatted into two partitions now.
    The other is not mounted, and doesn't show up correctly (disk0s4)
    Because it is almost exactly half of the available storage, that leaves me to suspect that you may have tried Bootcamp, to install Windows, and that may have not worked for you - or you just didn't follow on with actually installing Windows.
    You MIGHT run your Bootcamp utility, and if you have already run bootcamp to CREATE a partition, then Bootcamp may allow you to return to a single partition. That's assuming that you have used bootcamp in the past, and you used bootcamp to create that partition.

3. sonicrobby thread starter macrumors 68020

sonicrobby

You know, I think I have ran bootcamp a while back to attempt to install yosemite, but it didn't work. Bootcamp is only giving me the option to install windows, not remove it. I will try deleting the partition from the disk utility and expanding the main one.

Edit: yes that worked, thanks!

4. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

Glad to hear it was that simple. I have read quite a few threads here, and elsewhere, that had failures for a variety of reasons, in a bootcamp install, then the poster often tries the remove the partition created by bootcamp, using some other option, such as Disk Utility. Then often ending in problems that can only be solved with a full erase and restore. Best Way™ to remove a boot camp partition is using the Boot Camp Assistant. You must have had other issues going on.
    I would strongly suggest that you boot to your Recovery system (Restart holding Command-R), and run Disk Utility from that partition, and run the Repair Disk (not Repair Disk Permissions). Make sure that completes with no problems found. (Maybe you did that after the re-join, so you are likely OK, but thought I'd mention it anyway :D) It's a short task that I would do whenever I do "tricky" disk stuff, and re-joining a partition fits that criterion, In my opinion. I also would run a Disk Warrior rebuild, but that's just me… and would mean that you have to get Disk Warrior (not free…)