Mac operating system???

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by raven07866, Nov 13, 2008.

1. raven07866 macrumors newbie

I was trying to partition my macbook pro for bootcamp but was having difficulty so i used idefrag and this did not help so i put in the OS disk and proceeded to try and partition 20Gb for windows there once i had done this every thing on my laptop had done and i am having to re install every thing..... is there any reason why it should do this with out any warning because it really annoyed me and im starting to lose faith in apple. :(:(:(

could some one fill me in on what im doing wrong???

2. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

just run bootcamp assistant (applications/utilities/bootcamp assistant)

you dont need to pre partition it before running the assistant as it will do it for you

3. raven07866 thread starter macrumors newbie

that didnt work

that didnt work and now im having to re install tiger to then update to leopard but theres one problem... my laptop wont read the second disk even though it is immaculate.... kill me now lol hair is coming out

4. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

why reinstall tiger and upgrade to leopard when you can just install leopard?

5. raven07866 thread starter macrumors newbie

because i only have the leopard upgrade disk by the way thank you for the quick response much appreciated :)

6. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

theres no such thing

apple doesnt sell upgrade discs

haha no problem. just on forum spy lol

7. marbles macrumors 68000

marbles

there are loads of folks here who could help you but try and give them some more detail as to what exactly your doing/have done etc ., never installed windows n a mac myself so I don't know much about it but like I said .....

8. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

I wouldn't use any 3rd party software to partition my hard drive. Use Disk Utility instead. I'ts located in Applications -> Utilities -> Disk Utility.

9. raven07866 thread starter macrumors newbie

i only used idefrag for defragment my hard drive because the hard drive couldn't partition due to un movable infomation. this didnt help so i tried to erase the free memory so that didnt work.
    I then inserted the OS instalation disk and booted from it so i could access the boot up disk utility and from there tried to partition 20Gb of my hard drive.
    but it then went and formatted my whole laptop and i had no boot up disks

thanks for your help guys :)

10. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Unfortunately, I think the Disk Utility partitioner on the DVD only does destructive partitioning, meaning that the whole drive gets erased and reformatted.

I hope you had your files backed up.

On the bright side, you should have problems partitioning and installing Windows now. :D

11. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

Like dukebound85 said, use the Bootcamp utility and it will partition your hard drive for you. It is much easier.

12. raven07866 thread starter macrumors newbie

hahah put a smile on my face :) yea i would if the laptop wouldnt stop spitting the damn disk back out on me

13. Sly macrumors 6502

Sly

Yes there is, Apple put upgrade disks in with old stock using the previous OS when a new OS is launched.

OP. honestly the best way is to go cold turkey, if you install Bootcamp you'll only be tempted to use it.

14. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

but they are not "upgrade" discs, they are fully fledged os discs meaning you can install from them

15. raven07866 thread starter macrumors newbie

All i know is i got the upgrade disk through when i bought the new Imac and i desided to use it with my macbook pro aswell

16. Sly macrumors 6502

Sly

They have 'Upgrade' printed on them and they search for a fully installed previous OS before they allow install.

Disks that come with your computer are also machine specific meaning a Mac Pro disk will not install in a Macbook Pro

The upgrade disks are not machine specific though.

17. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

really? im surprised ive never heard of that. well guess you learn something everyday.

i was under the impression they just stuck a leopard retail disk as it would be too late to install the new os on after the announcement

18. raven07866 thread starter macrumors newbie

wrong because i've used it for a year now with the upgrade on my macbook pro any way this isnt about arguing about the upgrade disk myth my laptop is fooked

19. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

Sly must have thought you were talking about the restore disks that come with your computer and not the extra drop-in disk that you were provided.

20. Sly macrumors 6502

Sly

Exactly, as I said the upgrade disks are NOT machine specific the grey faced restore disks are.

Attached Files:

21. 11800506 macrumors 65816

I borrowed my friend's Leopard upgrade disk and I'm pretty sure that you can in fact use them to do an Archive and Install or Erase and Install. When you are running the disk it will come up with the option to do an Upgrade which it then checks for a fully installed OS - but if you click something like Options on that page you can select a different type of install. I'm not exactly sure the exact options since I don't have the disk, but when I used it I remember that you could in fact do other install types than an upgrade.

22. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

The point is that the upgrade drop-in discs do check for a previous version, unlike the retail DVD or restore DVDs.