Mac or PC for university?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by daaneel, Jul 5, 2011.

1. daaneel macrumors regular

So pretty much I can't decide which one I should get for university. If I get a Mac, which one would benefit me the most for university?

2. JediMeister macrumors 68040

Being able to install Windows via Boot Camp is huge, and can be done on any new Mac. In terms of picking the best model to suit your needs, it depends on what your major is and what you see yourself using the computer for outside of class. Unless you anticipate needing the video and audio capabilities of a MacBook Pro, a MacBook or MacBook Air should do nicely in terms of portability and battery life. If you want to go the budget route for example, you can go with a Mac mini instead, but you'll need a display, mouse, and keyboard and can't use one to take notes in class. You may also see some people using iPads but be aware of the limitations inherent to such a device. In the end, you are in the best position to determine for yourself what your needs are and what model best suits these needs.

3. Dave Felix macrumors 6502a

Dave Felix

Depends on what you need it to do alongside with what your major is. Business majors general use Microsoft Office but that can be found on both computers. Im a business major, I went thru 2 window pcs and decided to get a mac. Im in my fifth year.. so take that information as you like, I didnt have the best of luck with them.

4. -tWv- macrumors 68000

-tWv-

Depends on your major and also what the college requirements for a laptop are. If you need windows then just install it via bootcamp. The Mac will last a lot longer and you will probably like it better than a pc. Unless the college requires specific hardware, Mac is the way to go

5. TheGenerous macrumors 6502a

TheGenerous

Maybe try ubuntu, it has everything you could need for office and has no virus. It has many apps just like mac or windows. It could make a difference since you won't have any trouble with malware or devices that don't function properly.

If you'll be in arts school, to me the mac would be better.

6. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

I'd go with a 13" MBP, or a macbook air. If. You. Need windows you can install it through bootcamp, and they should have enough power. The only exception would be if your major requires you to have something with more power in which case you should tell us what your major is and we can give more specific advice.

7. kainjow Moderator emeritus

kainjow

8. obsidian1200 macrumors 6502

obsidian1200

Depends on your needs. As mentioned above, you can use Bootcamp, a built-in application that comes with every mac, to install a version of Windows if you find out you need it later on. Also, there's an official Microsoft Office Suite available for OSX, so you can buy that to increase the compatibility of your documents with other classmates (document compatibility is one of the few reasons I hold on to office at all...) if you need to.

Software wise, I think you'd be fine with either a Mac or a PC for standard college courses without the use of Bootcamp (I can't comment too much on major specific classes, since the OP didn't discuss them). If you're looking to get a laptop, I'd recommend an Apple laptop. I've personally found the longevity of Apple laptops to make up for their cost (I still use an iBook that's over 10 years old for most office-related tasks...). If you're looking for a desktop, I'd shop around both fields and do some price comparisons.

9. ProwlingTiger macrumors 65816

ProwlingTiger

Easy question: Mac. Dual-boot Windows if you need it and you can have your cake and eat it too.

10. daaneel thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the info, very useful!
    Well I'm Canadian eh and my program is honoUrs biology, so going off that would you guys still recommend the Mac? I'm not going to be playing any games and as far as the bio program goes I don't think there are any specific programs.

Sorry if I had any tweaks with my grammar or spelling!

-Tasha

11. AppleDApp macrumors 68020

AppleDApp

See with your University What software the biology program requires to use. if it is windows only.... Bootcamp if not Horray for mac apps.