Mac or pc??

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Yizhimao, Dec 21, 2010.

1. Yizhimao macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/8A293)

I've been doing some research on my own regard which is a better buy; MBP 15" or Vaio Z series?? I'm trying not to be biased since I'm a pc user but I'm open for a change. So which would be a better buy since both costs relatively the same?

2. MacSignal macrumors regular

Cost might be about the same, but resale is not likely to the same. For the way I use my laptops, Sony battery life on some other Sony models has been pathetic compared to what you get with a Mac.

If resale/money and battery life aren't that important and everything else seems more or less even to you, I would suggest that you go to some stores where you can have some first-person interaction with both machines. It's always best to make a personal evaluation of laptop keyboards and displays. Good luck!

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

That's completely a personal preference.

I think the MBP is a better buy, but others who are more pc centric would think otherwise.

It all depends on what you'll use it for, what OS you want to use and ultimately which better fits your needs.

Posting on a Mac forum will generate more pro Mac responses because most of us who post here like Macs over PCs.

4. Dr McKay macrumors 68040

Dr McKay

As they're roughly the same cost I personally would go for the Viao because I prefer Windows 7 over OS X.

Pepsi or Coke?

5. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

It's really tough to say.

Macbook Pro 15 inch
    - Larger Screen
    - Longer Battery life
    - Magsafe connector
    - Intake and exhaust for cooling are out the back so it can actually be used as a laptop (most laptops have the air intake on the bottom which your legs block)
    - OS X install disc

Sony Z Series
    - Lighter
    - Smaller
    - Dual SSD's in RAID 0:cool:
    - Optional mobile broadband built in
    - HDMI (rather than mini Displayport which needs an adapter for anything besides an Apple Cinema display)
    - Blu Ray
    - Lacks Windows 7 disc so any reinstall would be filled with junkware

As for OSes to fairly compare you need to choose Windows 7 Ultimate to get language switching, remote desktop, encryption and connection to domain networks rather than just workgroups (if any of that matters to you).

It really does depend on what is more important to you. You can get good anti-virus software for free that has a minimal impact on performance so that should not be a factor.

6. danielpicasso macrumors member

danielpicasso

No question....

Its about the OS! AND the fact that the hdwr & OS come from one company and no finger pointing. I use a PC for work and a MBP 15" for personal and the apple is a beautiful piece of software and the hardware is killer. Not even a close call decision........:apple:+

7. Winni macrumors 68030

Winni

How much paid software do you own and do you intend to run Windows on the MacBook Pro? If the answer is yes, you want to run Windows on the MacBook, then the MacBook is already more expensive than the Vaio because you have to purchase a Windows license for the Apple machine.
    And if you no longer care for Windows and want to go OS X all the way, then you have to purchase all of your software again in either Mac OS X versions or you have to buy OS X software that can replace your Windows software.

In either direction, such a "switch" costs a lot more money than just the hardware price, and you should think about it very carefully before you do it.

And then there still is this big counter-argument against any Mac: Mac OS X is NOT a good platform for business purposes, because the entire world uses Windows clients and almost everything work- or business related that you will ever do will have to be compatible with Windows software.

Apple has given up on the business market a long time ago and is now only focusing on the consumer market. Whoever here wants to tell you otherwise either makes his money in the graphics design/music/video department or simply puts a blind eye to reality.

All that being said, Apple builds very nice hardware and if you don't mind spending the additional bucks, all Apple machines are also great Windows systems. And since you have not yet spend a single cent on OS X, don't start with it.

8. bt22 macrumors 6502

Also factor in the annual anti-virus definitions you must purchase for your windows machine that you wouldn't need on your Mac.

9. Dr McKay macrumors 68040

Dr McKay

For anyone with an IQ above 40, something like AVG Free Edition is more than adequate.

10. rimcrazy macrumors member

Depends on how you use it

I use a MBP for my work that is dual boot with bootcamp running Win7. While I do like windows 7 they still have not figured out that someone with a laptop is going to be hooking to multiple networks. As long as all you ever use is WiFi win7 is still fairly painless but if you hardline in, it is a real PITA. With OSX I just make a location in network preferences and then when I boot up in a new location I just tell my MBP where it is at and everything just works and hooks up. In Win7, for a while, I had to hack the frigging ethernet card every time I changed. I then found a app that does do it for me now but what a pain. Good grief this is such a basic need that they left out.

Anyway, the point is, as good as Win7 is, and I use both OSX and Win7 on a daily basis, I still find that OSX just works and Win7 just kinda works but within a much narrower range of conditions.

11. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

I use win 7 at work and os x at home. I like os x better. I find win 7 freezes and has to be rebooted a couple of times a week and sometimes a couple of times a day. This is not the fault of win 7 per se, it is the fault of our IT guys who insist on cramming so much corporate junkware on our machines.

But based on my experience with my work machine, win 7 is worlds better than xp but still exhibits behavior I rarely see in os x, some of which are: freezes, failure to sleep/resume properly (there is a hotfix for this from August that our IT guys apparently still haven't comprehended), nuisance popups telling me my bluetooth is not discoverable, nuisance popups about my wifi status, things I must click on to move on and get work done, glacially slow performance as soon as any MS app (office 2007) is launched, complete system freeze at the launch of adobe reader (and yes I have adobe reader for "probem pdf files" on my mac and it isn't as disruptive), ie 8 STILL vulnerable even with the latest security patches (I use firefox for surfing anything that isn't behind the corporate firewall), slow boot time.

I wouldn't say you shouldn't get win 7 because of what I've seen because I'm sure it could be done better than what our IT guys do, but I can say I wouldn't choose it after what I've been through.

As for hardware cost, Dell and HP aren't very good values. I tend to like Lenovo (formerly IBM). In the end, Apple hardware tends to cost more because it is the only (official) way to get OS X but also because the industrial design is second to none (ie mag safe, keyboard layout, touchpad, etc), so for me it's worth the higher cost to stick with Apple gear.

12. Yizhimao thread starter macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/8A293)

Wow! This is very insightful guys.. Just for your info guys, I'm getting a new notebook for school.. I'll be doing civil engineering.. I've been a pc use all my life and I've decided maybe it's time for a change.. Recenty, my bro got the new MBA 13".. I've been meddling around with it.. I must say I really love the Mac interface.. It's really awesome and despite having to learn a few tricks for Mac, I realized that it's really easy using a Mac (unlike what I've been hearing!).. Currently, I have a PC desktop.. I use it mainly for gaming.. Anyways, I've decided to join Mac family this time.. Haha!! Hope it's the right decision!!:D

13. VoR macrumors 6502a

Not sure what you've done to your pc...
    For wifi, all you need to do is put in the passphrase of the access point your connecting to. You can do this to as many AP's as you want, and whenever you're in range it'll connect automatically.
    If you're connecting with a cable, all you do is plug it in.

14. Bokanovsky macrumors newbie

For laptops and desktops - indeed, for anything more than a mobile device - I myself prefer Debian to OSX or Windows; OSX is rather restrictive, although I'm going to be widely criticized for saying as much on this board, and Windows is too buggy for my liking and too hard to debug when it stumbles across another of its quotidial "programs stopping working".

Regarding hardware, though, as this topic originally was, neither are exactly good laptops in my opinion, but I'd go by raw specs rather than by appearance, screen size, etc; this gives the Vaio the nod.

15. occams razor macrumors regular

Jut buy a Mac. If you don't like osx install windows on it and be done.