Mac or PC?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by End of Rine, May 3, 2011.

1. End of Rine macrumors newbie

Alright, I'm going to make this short.

I'm buying a new computer, either a Mac or a Windows desktop that I'll build myself.

What are the advantages of buying a Mac over building a Windows computer?

I don't want to hear "It's pretty", that's subjective. Nor do I want to hear "It's more user friendly", I don't think it is nor do I need the extra help. I don't want to hear "It doesn't get viruses" either, because I'm not an idiot who gets viruses.

So, what are the advantages?

2. lars666 macrumors 6502a

Seems that you don't wanna hear very much ...

3. End of Rine thread starter macrumors newbie

If those are the only advantages a Mac has over a PC then I can't see the reason for it's fanbase whatsoever.

4. lars666 macrumors 6502a

A computer that is more user friendly than others seems like a pretty good buying argument to me.

5. End of Rine thread starter macrumors newbie

Windows is plenty user friendly for anyone who uses it for more than just facebook. I've never encountered a problem in all my years that couldn't be solved or figured out with a quick google or common sense.

I'm trying to justify the hardware hit for other benefits, so far it looks like there are none, that's why I made this thread.

Hurr durr wants to know advantages instead of just blindly accepting macs must be troll durr.

6. ShiftyGray macrumors regular

Go for a PC. I don't want you having a Mac. =p

7. End of Rine thread starter macrumors newbie

Oh wow. This thread sure has shown me something about macs and their users.

I'm going to hope someone will redeem macs for me.

8. Spyriadon macrumors regular

Spyriadon

+1

No one is asking you to blindly accept buying a mac.

This question has been beaten to death over the last decade so just google it.

9. teleromeo macrumors 65816

teleromeo

10. kixx macrumors member

Another reason i will give you is for its trackpad and multi-touch gestures.

11. ShiftyGray macrumors regular

I'm not going to try and convince you to get a Mac. You show a lack of research skills on your own, you don't seem to care much about user-friendliness. You seem near borderline trolling, so I really just don't care whether you go for a PC or a Mac. Nor do I feel the need to defend Mac.

Exactly.

12. End of Rine thread starter macrumors newbie

I have googled it, thank you very much, and the only answers I get are the ones I provided in the first post. I was hoping I could get first hand experience from people who actually own macs, obviously I was wrong.

However I was correct in my previous opinion that the mac userbase was full of arrogant pricks who take any criticism as "trolling" and my completely innocent question of the advantages of a mac was obviously too much for you small minded folk to bear.

Good day to you.

13. ShiftyGray macrumors regular

I think you might want to work on your phrasing if you want information.

14. ShiftyGray macrumors regular

Self-fulfilling prophecy

15. Icaras macrumors 603

Icaras

16. iStudentUK macrumors 65816

iStudentUK

Garbage in, garbage out.

You started this thread with the wrong tone, you got snarky responses.

17. Ilari macrumors newbie

You already listed the three main advantages.

For me the design is important. I enjoy things that look good and I don't want to hide my computer in some corner of the bedroom.

I am someone who has used PCs a lot and has no problems with using them. I still prefer Macs. It's hard to describe accurately but Macs just are more hassle-free (at least to me). OS X is very stable and I get way more done than with a Windows machine (disclaimer: I haven't used Windows 7 but I've heard it's a big improvement).

I'm not an idiot who gets viruses either, but that's because I know how to use anti-virus and a firewall. On a Mac I don't have to bother with anti-virus. That's a big plus for me.

The biggest advantage to PCs is the bang for buck spec-wise. I don't think the 27" iMac is that expensive because the screen alone costs $1000, but you can still get a similarly specced PC for less. Since the main advantages of a Mac don't seem to appeal to you, I would advise you to get a PC.

18. Sunday Ironfoot macrumors regular

Well, Macs are definitely prettier, they're more user-friendly, and they don't get viruses....oh wait a sec....

19. wyntingley macrumors newbie

lovin' the interweb

(my second post, ever)

I too am making the move from PC to Mac.

I have been using this forum for weeks to satisfy myself that it is the right decision and that I am well prepared for the challenges of data transfers and initial technical difficulties etc.

I have never found any posts to genuine questions that are anything less than helpful, courteous and welcoming.

My only decision it seems is to wait for any refresh to the iMac that might happen or buy a refurbished Mac or previously owned (it is amazing how many i7s are suddenly on eBay for around £1,200)

Thank you all for helping out (even if you didn't know it!)

20. mdoyle macrumors member

i changed to a mac last year after using a acer quad core 4gb ram 750 gb hd and i'll tell you its the best thing i ever did. The whole OS for Mac feels more professional, easier to manage, finding files and removing them.
    You don't have to have a 2nd hobby of constantly running anti-virus software which slows the machine down no end.
    The whole experience seems quicker and far more productive. Another thing i've notice with my imac is the downloading of files off the internet. With every windows machine i've ever used once i have 5 multiple downloads going thats my internet browsing halted to a crawl or stopped completely. I've had 15 multiple 500mb downloads going on my imac and it didn't slow down my browsing one bit.
    I think you need to ask yourself the question what do i need my machine to do for me.
    Gaming then windows wins every time, if its productivity/work/multimedia then mac.
    You can run bootcamp and have the best of both running on your machine which is what i do. But ask me after using both would i choose to use windows other than for gaming after using a mac then no i wouldn't choose to.

21. lvlarkkoenen macrumors regular

You really didn't start the right way. If you want 'us' (let's include myself for the sake of argument) to be helpful you can at least be kind to us and appear open-minded and not instantly dismiss reasons alot of people here may have in a condescending manner.

You could have said: Reasons 1, 2 and 3 appear to be important to a lot of people. Thing is, I don't think they are as important to me. Does anyone have other reasons to go Mac? And, since you came over here for more information, there must've been something that drew you towards Macs, even just a little bit. Elaborating a bit on that would probably have been helpful. Informing us about what you want to do on your computer may help as well. (I'm not saying you are trolling, but if you would have done this, I don't think anyone would've)

Now, trying to answer your question: To me, the three reasons you mention are obviously more important than to you. I do think, though, that you dismiss the user-friendliness a bit too fast. It's not just about knowing how to do things, it's also about those things being done easier/faster. An example that comes to mind is the base installing programs. Its a double click and a drag on a Mac. Last time I was at my parents' place it was much more than that, even though it was quite clear what to do. Now I'm no expert on the matter, but I hear creative programs (photo/video/music-editing) are more userfriendly in this sense as well on a Mac. Consider this: you don't need the "extra help", well, if you knew all the MS DOS commands you probably wouldn't need any help to do whatever it is you would do with it. Still, doing the same things in Windows/OSX/whatever is still more user-friendly.

Ow, and as I don't know what you're going to be doing, I might as well add this reason: Mac OSX is unix-based, and that means that if something crashes, just that something crashes, and you don't risk losing alot of stuff you did in other things. (I hear Windows got better in that respect though.) That's pretty much the reason why Hollywood uses unix-based machines. And of the unix-options, I can see why people would rather have OSX than Linux.

22. End of Rine thread starter macrumors newbie

As I've said, I don't need the user friendliness so it's not a big selling point for me, if anything it's pushed me away because I'll have to relearn a lot of functions I know and can perform quickly. I've used many programs on OSX, such as photoshop and final cut pro, and I find that photoshop is just more cumbersome to deal with on the mac, I can't pin it down, but that's my impression. I also find that Sony Vegas Pro does a much better job than final cut pro, once again, my opinion.

While that can be beneficial, I have backups of anything important and honestly, from the small amount I've seen of OSX, I prefer Linux.

I'd be using the computer for video editing and music editing as a compliment to that, with some gaming and possible photo manipulation thrown in. Of course I'll also be using it for internet usage, but that's a given.

I was drawn to ask this question about macs because everybody I've ever spoke to about them always praises them but offers no solid reason so that's why I came here.

23. leman macrumors 604

Advantages:

- Unix
    - Better usability which translates to higher productivity (you spend less time doing irrelevant things)
    - Great computer design and quality (weight, form factor, power consumption, screen quality, input devices quality etc.)

Disadvantages:

- Price
    - Some specialized software may not be available