mac or ps3

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by KooBrewoP, Jan 26, 2009.

1. KooBrewoP macrumors regular

KooBrewoP

If i wanted to primarily game would i be better off getting an iMac or a PS3? console gaming seems a bit limited for titles when compared to a PC, but its dedicated hardware and software means it will always work right off the bat where as running windows off a mac is fraught with possible problems. PS3 also comes with a blue-ray player, but is it possible to get external blur ready players for a mac yet?

2. fluidedge macrumors 65816

fluidedge

are you serious?

3. armoguy94 macrumors 6502

Lol. If you're serious about this, then the (what I think is) obvious answer is to get a Mac.

4. bigjnyc macrumors 601

bigjnyc

if you want to game then get a console, thats what its made for. if you want added functionality besides gaming get the Mac.

This is just personal opinion but i've never been a computer gamer, i've always prefered having a console for my gaming needs, I have a PS3 and i use it as a blue-ray player, DVD player, and gaming console.

5. gregorsamsa macrumors 6502a

(Metamorphosing near) Staffs, 51st State.
    Frankly, it all comes down to the games you prefer. If you like RTS like Age of Empires, Total War, etc., today's iMacs (with Boot Camp) are very good choice for all but the most hard-core gamers obsessed with maintaining cutting-edge hardware & achieving the highest FPS. FWIW, I love RTS gaming, so I got an iMac (though I chose it for a number of other reasons).

Note also that the iMac may receive an upgrade fairly soon, which is likely to see improved video cards. Unless you need to buy right now, might be a good idea to wait a few weeks.

6. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

If you want a console get a 360.
    If you want a computer get a Mac.
    If you want both get a cheap console and a cheap PC.

7. tsice19 macrumors 6502a

tsice19

There is no answer to this question.

It depends on your funds, what you want to play, what kind of performance you want, etc; etc; etc; etc; etc; etc; etc; etc; etc;

8. evan g macrumors regular

Though I'm not quite sure what you mean when it's a little limited when it comes to console games, I would go for it, since Killzone 2 is right around the corner! Take that, PC! :p

9. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

If you need a computer = Mac
    If you want a gaming console/media = PS3

Easy as blueberry pie......ummm pie;)

Note: dude Macs arent known for playing games....just a heads up.

Bless

10. 99MustangGTman macrumors 6502

Buy a used xbox and get the new whitebook, problem solved

11. JackAxe macrumors 68000

JackAxe

Build a PC that's game friendly -- will cost under a $K, then install OS X on it via a dual boot option. :eek:

I Kid, but it can be done.

What are your priorities?

12. Antares macrumors 68000

Antares

This is a great question.

If you don't own a Mac yet, get one. That should be your first priority.

If you already own a Mac, but an older one...hold off on upgrading and just get yourself a PS3. Then, when the Mac Mini is finally updated, get yourself that.

13. gregorsamsa macrumors 6502a

(Metamorphosing near) Staffs, 51st State.
    He may mean that consoles have more than their fair share of boring, button-bashing rubbish. :) The variety of games available for PC/Mac is much greater. How many good RTS games are available for consoles matching the likes of "AoE" or "Total War"?

14. arthursiew macrumors 6502

arthursiew

If you need a computer get the iMac.
    If you want to play Blu-ray movies and play games... PS3.

15. aznguyen316 macrumors 68020

aznguyen316

16. RRutter macrumors 6502

I love how some people are asking "ARE YOUZ SERIOUSZLYS!? OMGZ!!" and than they're like, if you're serious, get an iMac.

WHAT?!

He's asking what he would get if he wants to play VIDEO GAMES.

For VIDEO GAMES and not computer functionality, get the PS3.

Also remember that the PS3 has an internet browser in it. Just an FWI!!

17. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

But the Mac will play "VIDEO GAMES" and very well indeed. Hell I play PC games waaay more than console games and I mostly use an x1600 iMac (though another high end gaming PC but it's just a pain to use).
    Console internet browser? That's not fair I'm saving my laughter pennies for QI tonight!

18. RRutter macrumors 6502

The PS3 is way better than the PC or Mac for gaming.. Unless you have a completely decked out computer. But we're all entitled to our own opinions.

19. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

No. Not really. A DirectX10 PC (which is run of the mill as far as dedicated graphics cards go now) will do amazing things. Even my MB runs TF2 in a higher resolution than 360 or PS3 with every graphical option set to full. And that's just an underclocked 9400m in Bootcamp.

Plus on a PC you have the option of using a gamepad, keyboard/mouse. You get (most of the time) free DLC, free and decent online play, so many communications options.
    And then games are cheaper on PC, can run them in higher resolutions with higher settings, mod the games.

20. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Yeah one game doesn't mean a thing Jimmy, you know you shouldn't generalise like that.

Try running a game like Sacred 2 on an iMac with a 2600HD and you will see how even a relatively simple looking game looks like a dogs poop on such a system, and having seen the 360 version - it looks just as good as Sacred 2 running on an 8800GT.

Killzone 2 Demo looks and plays better than Crysis running on my Mac Pro with an 8800GT for example, simply because it is so optimized for its purpose.

A games console from my own experience will play games much better than an iMac (unless you plump for the more expensive model with the decent gpu), and you wont have to feck about with settings in order to get a playable experience.

21. aznguyen316 macrumors 68020

aznguyen316

I agree with this post. Also sure PC games can be found relatively cheaper, I a m a big reseller of video games, when I'm done, I resell via craigslist or amazon or whatever and get a large percentage of what I paid b/c I buy used games in the first place. PC games SUCK in this regard, most are unsellable or useless, steam games can't be resold, games for windows you lose the Live key although not necessary.

I like to game on PC but it cannot and will not be my only option. I also see many more technical errors when it comes to the PC gaming platform than consoles. There are more games that can be found for console exclusivity than vice versa. Consoles are just easy in the fact that you buy a console and you can play all the games made for it, with a PC you can buy a pc but not every game that gets put out on the market for PC can be playable, it's all IF you have this or upgrade that and hope you don't run into driver issues or etc etc.

and yess the Killzone 2 demo is only a taste of what's to come. Graphically very impressive, uncharted 2 I think/hope will top it in terms of graphics.

*edit* after re-reading the original post, he's basically asking questions that a PS3 would answer. For mainly gaming, you pay at least half the cost for a ton of stuff right out the box. Blu-ray is a great addition esp if you have an HDTV, 80GB HDD, wireless or ethernet, divx/xvid player, basically an entertainment system, upconvert DVD player, PSN network, a good library of PS3 titles.

w/ an iMac unless you have it, Windows, probably ram upgrade, a gaming mouse. At least $1000 just to play games? meh

anyway I'm done =P

22. Lincoln 6 Echo macrumors member

Yup, PS3 is a great all-in-one home theatre/ gaming system. Blu-rays are awesome.

+ add the cost of external or internal Blu-ray writer (or reader)!! :eek:

It's obvious PS3 is the best solution.

23. spyker3292 macrumors 65816

I own all three consoles and I'd so with the PS3. I'm quite a fan of PC gaming, buying a console and being able to play any game for it for quite a few years is a lot easier than having to buy an expensive gaming rig and upgrade it a ton :p.

24. Sipkur macrumors newbie

Sipkur

If you want a gaming console get an xbox, ps3 blu-ray makes it slow.
    if you want to play like 3 games and have a box of heaven on your desk, get a mac

25. fluidedge macrumors 65816

fluidedge

:confused:

I don't think you could ever call the ps3 slow