Mac OS 1 running on iOS 7

Gitmon

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 1, 2014
Hope this isn't going to be considered as spam, but this is pretty nuts! iOS 7 powered devices come with a crazy well hidden Easter egg - you can actually activate the very first Mac OS on any iOS 7 iPad/iPhone, and this is how it can be done:

Activate Mac OS 1 on iOS 7 device

:eek:

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
Not that amazing. I've had Mac OS 7.5.5 running on iOS devices since 2008 with Mini vMac. Even the first generation devices are able to run it without any problems.

jeremysteele

macrumors 6502
Jul 13, 2011
Hate to be a nerd - but it would be better if they referred to it correctly at least: "System Software 1"

"Mac OS" wasn't used in the name until 7.6, although it was referenced on 7.5.1 (on splash screen). :apple:

On a side note - got some taxes to do - Microsoft Multiplan - here I come! ;)

braddick

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2009
Encinitas, CA
This is nuts!
Don't be deceived though: You must hold/scroll (3rd step for iPad; 4th step on iPhone) for exactly 14 seconds. The, "one-missisippi-two-missisippi..." won't work.

I used my iPhone stopwatch and got this to work on the iPad Air (7.1)

Purely a novelty, to be sure, but a neat way to fool friends.

MinEderPlayz

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2013
Hamburg, Germany
That's so amazing. I tried it out on my iPad Air, totally worth it. Damn it why didn't he release this yesterday... Then people wouldn't go all "This is April fools blah blah"... :rolleyes:

dumastudetto

macrumors 68040
Aug 28, 2013
I couldn't get this to work. I just got back from the Apple store and the genius told me he doesn't think it's possible either. He tried and ask colleagues none of them are aware of this hidden feature in the OS. :confused:

maflynn

Staff member
May 3, 2009
Boston
These April 1st topics should be banned permanently. :rolleyes:
Its quite evident from the linked article and from their replies, that its a April 1st prank. My post in this thread also shows why its there.

Relax and enjoy, why should MacRumors remove all humor from its site. We in fact have a tradition of pulling a prank and it was enjoyed by many.

Xeyad

macrumors 6502
Nov 19, 2012
I couldn't get this to work. I just got back from the Apple store and the genius told me he doesn't think it's possible either. He tried and ask colleagues none of them are aware of this hidden feature in the OS. :confused:
You went to the Apple Store for this? You got prank'd good! :p

Jambalaya

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2013
UK
:mad: why do people waste time with this silly pranks on MacRumors. It's so annoying and it doesn't make sense for 364 days of the year when the thread remains active. These April 1st topics should be banned permanently. :rolleyes:
See the funny side. I started reading the link not realising it was a prank, then the penny dropped. I also read a piece on Scotland's vote for independence that should they vote yes they where going to change from driving on the left to on the right in order to better integrate into the EU, took me a few paragraphs before I realised, all fun.

cmChimera

macrumors 68040
Feb 12, 2010
lol You poor soul. Well, guess they got you.