Mac OS 10.2 to OS 10.4

Discussion in 'macOS' started by crumbrye, Aug 4, 2008.

1. crumbrye macrumors newbie

I have an eMac with 10.2.8 installed. Rather than selling it, I'd like to upgrade it to OS 10.4 and keep it around for a while. Unfortunately 10.4 is getting harder and harder to find. Is it possible to make the leap from 10.2 to 10.4 without installing 10.3? If so, should I be looking for a particular version of Tiger? Also, will there be a distinction between 10.4 for Power PC's and Intel? Any clue the best place to find Tiger, besides eBay?

Thanks

2. imaketouchtheme macrumors 65816

There is no difference. You could post in the MarketPlace asking for Tiger. Yes, you can go from any OS from any OS.

3. JML42691 macrumors 68020

JML42691

I do not believe that there is any difference, and you should not need to upgrade to 10.3 first, straight to 10.4 should work.

He is not eligible for the Marketplace.

4. crumbrye thread starter macrumors newbie

iLife

Ok, thanks for the input. I'm wondering, if I buy the upgrade DVD, will it come with iPhoto? Or will I have to purchase iLife?

5. imaketouchtheme macrumors 65816

You must buy iLife separately.

6. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I'm assuming this eMac is on the official support list for Tiger, right, so you won't have to play games / use XPostFacto to install it?

I think your Jaguar computer may not have journaling on the file system (the file system will be called "Mac OS Extended (HFS Plus)" instead of "Mac OS Extended Journaled (HFS Plus)." If this is the case you probably ought to reformat the drive with journaling.

Other than that, it should be straightforward.