Mac OS 10.3 or 10.4?

edwardlanti

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 14, 2005
new york city
hey guys i jsut want an opinion here. i just got a g4 powerbook with mac os 10.2. my question is should i buy 10.3 now or should i just rather wait for 10.4?

Duff-Man

macrumors 68030
Dec 26, 2002
Albuquerque, NM
Duff-Man says....if 10.2.x is working fine for you and you've looked at the features of 10.3.x and there is nothing you can't live without then why not wait.....unless of course you find a really cheap (legit) copy of 10.3 and just can't pass it up....oh yeah!

wnameth

macrumors 65816
Nov 18, 2004
Canada
I agree unless you need to have expose' or a few other minor things, then just wait (trust me 10.4 will not disappoint)

thats my 0.2$

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
Wait for 10.4, it will only be a matter of months. And it will definitely be worth it! No sense in paying full price for 10.3 when the same $129 will get you the brand new OS in a few months' time.

Unless 10.2 is unbearably awful for you (which I doubt), just wait - patience is a virtue and always pays off. :cool:

Smileyguy

macrumors 6502
Nov 29, 2004
Being sensible, I'd say wait for Tiger. Personally though, I couldn't compute without Expose. I don't know how I coped before it was introduced.

vtprinz

macrumors 6502
Nov 30, 2004
combatcolin said:
Wait for Tiger and then use your edu discount (which is easier than it sounds) at the Apple store.
The EDU discount makes it $70. But either way, if you want Tiger eventually, you'll end up paying $70 for only a couple months use of an OS. Just wait. Jaguar was a great OS, a lot of people still use it. The only thing I think you'll really miss is the new Finder in Panther. Expose is great, but definitely not necessary. It was a few months before i really got used to using it anyway. And even now, after over a year with Panther, the only thing I use Expose for is if I need to get something from the desktop.

One word of caution, however. From what I understand, Tiger has high requirements to run everything right. Make sure your computer will even work well with Tiger.

vtprinz

macrumors 6502
Nov 30, 2004
I just noticed a link at the bottom of the Forum that apparently has Panther for $49.00.

edwardlanti

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 14, 2005
new york city
One word of caution, however. From what I understand, Tiger has high requirements to run everything right. Make sure your computer will even work well with Tiger.[/QUOTE]

well this is my first mac computer(got tired of freaking windows) so i am still a newbie. i have a 867 mhz powerbook with 512 rams. do you think tiger will run good on this pc?

tdhurst

macrumors 601
Dec 27, 2003
Phoenix, AZ
Huh?

combatcolin said:
Wait for Tiger and then use your edu discount (which is easier than it sounds) at the Apple store.
What Apple store allows educational for pricing at the brick and mortar stores? None that I know of...

tdhurst

macrumors 601
Dec 27, 2003
Phoenix, AZ
vtprinz said:
One word of caution, however. From what I understand, Tiger has high requirements to run everything right. Make sure your computer will even work well with Tiger.
What exactly are those requirements, and what does it mean to run "right"? Does missing out on some eye candy mean all that much?

tdhurst

macrumors 601
Dec 27, 2003
Phoenix, AZ
REALLY?

Westside guy said:
The University Village store in Seattle, for one. Just go in with your UW ID.
Huh, they're not supposed to, but that's cool. They must make exceptions for stores SO close to college campuses.

Flyinace2000

macrumors 6502a
Sep 28, 2004
appleretailguy said:
Huh, they're not supposed to, but that's cool. They must make exceptions for stores SO close to college campuses.
I think all the Apple B&M offer edu discount with ID. What apple store isn't within 1 hour of a college or k-12 school.

FriarCrazy

macrumors regular
Jul 20, 2004
Ames, IA/Eden Prairie, MN
appleretailguy said:
They all give you the discount... At least, 2 of the 3 Apple stores in the Minneapolis area did it for me. I just brought in my Iowa State ISU card and they gave me the discount. I bought my PowerBook and iPod with it.

stoid

macrumors 601
Apple b&m stores only give education discounts on Hardware, you will not be able to get the education discount on any software, short of buying the Student/Teacher edition of MS Office, which anyone can buy for the $150 they charge. But you cannot get the discount on iLife, iWork, Mac OS X, etc. unless you order online.

maya

macrumors 68040
Oct 7, 2004
somewhere between here and there.
If there are enticing features of Panther that you just need to have now, then buy Panther from a place where it is affordable.

If there is no reasons as of the above then wait for Tiger, as it is a far better upgrade IMHO. :)

combatcolin

macrumors 68020
Oct 24, 2004
Northants, UK
appleretailguy said:
What Apple store allows educational for pricing at the brick and mortar stores? None that I know of...
???

Its all very nice for you yanks who have 10 to the power of 40 Apple stores doted around the place but over here we have....

(drum roll to build the exceitment)

1 :eek:

Which is no where near me. :( :( :(
And i havn't been there yet. :( :( :(

So when your average Brit bangs on about the the Apple store he means the on-line store.

vtprinz

macrumors 6502
Nov 30, 2004
combatcolin said:
???

Its all very nice for you yanks who have 10 to the power of 40 Apple stores doted around the place but over here we have....
Not all yanks have that luxury. The closest Apple store to me is about a 3 hour drive. But then, I am a college student and our bookstore is an authorized reseller, so I do get something. Even though it's just a tiny 4'x4' corner of the store.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.