Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mymacluvsme

macrumors member
Jan 13, 2006
concrete jungle
"In the Spring". When is Spring? The answer is relative to where you are. In Kaleefourneea (that's California with an Austrian accent) Spring might be February or March. In the Northern states (Minn. or Mich.) Spring doesn't come until April or May.

But I assume that Apple is on Kaleefourneea time, eh? :D

xUKHCx

Administrator emeritus
Jan 15, 2006
The Kop
My guess is that iLife and iWork will both require some of the new features in Leopard..

Apple wouldn't do that because it really limits the market to which they can sell iLife and iWork.

If anything i think they will announce that you can buy iLife bundled with OS X.5 or you can buy it separately.

Or it is just taking longer than expected.

Rich

emptyCup

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2005
I won't hold my breath for Leopard but iLife may make it for March i guess...

Do you mean that a) you don't care about Leopard or b) you don't think it will be released in March or c) you don't think it will be released, as announced, before Spring ends in the middle of June?

Personally, I think there will be another event at which both Leopard and iLife '07 are released sometime after March (to push revenue into the second quarter).

digitalbiker

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2002
The Road
"In the Spring". When is Spring? The answer is relative to where you are. In Kaleefourneea (that's California with an Austrian accent) Spring might be February or March. In the Northern states (Minn. or Mich.) Spring doesn't come until April or May.

The last time SJ said "Spring" it turned out to be June 20th. One day before the first day of summer. So Spring 2007 could be anytime from March 22nd to June 20th.

Really no news here. I wish we would get some encouragement of a special event soon. I need my octo Mac Pro.

pale9

macrumors regular
not a clairovoyant by any means, but...

history does tend to repeat itself. that why the hedge fund i work for continues to make alot of money....

my guess is that within the next couple of weeks apple will send out invitations to an event in a smaller venue (like last year), saying something to the effect of "Opps, we forgot to mention something at macworld...". jobs is a master of dosing hype. he will keep the pot bubbling by regularly feeding us some nice tasty treats. so, my guess is: next ilife and iwork 07, then quad core powermac, then leopard, video ipod. maybe some updated pro apps somewhere in-between all this before july. what comes then is pure speculation.

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005

Or down here where spring starts in September.... :D

I think we'll be waiting a bit longer than most expect for iLife/iWork. Time Machine integration is going to be a big part of the new apps and to ensure maximum compatibility they're going to have to wait till Leopard goes Gold Master and into manufacturing. I think we'll possibly be waiting till April for a big Leopard/iLife announcement. This could be the first time in a long time that an OSX update got an event announcement. The last two came out with no fanfare from Apple other than the announcements online.

Mtn Tamale

macrumors member
Jun 14, 2004
Denver, CO
Predicted timeline

Nothing special shipping until after Vista is shipped for consumers and there is a lot of disappointment in the press.

February: Late in the month iLife and iWork announced and shipping
March: updated consumer mac lines
April: updated pro lines
May: Leopard
June: iPhone
July: WWDC
August/September: new Video iPod

That doses the hype out over every month into autumn, while not competing with hype over Vista, but capitalizing on Vista dismay.

gugy

macrumors 68040
Jan 31, 2005
La Jolla, CA

Yeah, I was thinking about that. But the thing is, now if iPhone and everybody knowing how cool a widescreen iPod could be, I see a lot of people waiting until the same is on the market.
That's going to kill iPod sales (video iPod, not nano guys). So I can't see Apple waiting that long to anounce the widescreen iPod.

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
Yeah, I was thinking about that. But the thing is, now if iPhone and everybody knowing how cool a widescreen iPod could be, I see a lot of people waiting until the same is on the market.
That's going to kill iPod sales (video iPod, not nano guys). So I can't see Apple waiting that long to anounce the widescreen iPod.

Won't kill the video iPod sales since the new widescreen one will replace the older one.

gugy

macrumors 68040
Jan 31, 2005
La Jolla, CA
Won't kill the video iPod sales since the new widescreen one will replace the older one.

That's not what I meant.
It's going to kill the current video ipod (5g). the one you can buy now. Seriously, Would you buy one now and think that the new widescreen could show up at any moment?
I would wait.

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
Hmmm, doesnt really say much, stay tuned could mean February or November. Quite surprised Leopard is looking to ACTUALLY ship in spring. I thought Apple had a habit of releasing stuff waay before deadlines.

Oh well...

spyderracer393

macrumors regular
Jan 8, 2006
Apple wouldn't do that because it really limits the market to which they can sell iLife and iWork.

If anything i think they will announce that you can buy iLife bundled with OS X.5 or you can buy it separately.

Or it is just taking longer than expected.

Rich

Well, I can see them doing something where iWork and iLife will work with OS 10.4, but in order to get the full functionality, you need OS 10.5 -- kind of like with iWeb, in order to get 1-click functionality, you need .Mac - otherwise its a folder and manual, rather than automatic.

EagerDragon

macrumors 68020
Jun 27, 2006
MA, USA
Define soon

Given the low estimate for this quater, I would guess that they do not plan to put anything new for sale (other than the tv and airport) any time soon. Otherwise their prediction would have been a little larger.

Don't expect the wide screen iPod until close to the iPhone release or shortly after.

I don't expect iLife or iWorks until much closer to Leopard release (prob June) or cuncurrently in June.

pilotError

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2006
Long Island
I was thinking Fall release of a Video iPod, probably for next Christmas / Holiday season.

I would think it would have the same touch screen as the iPhone, but they want to wait to see how the iPhone does for a couple of quarters. I'm sure they don't want to run short on screen parts and have supply issues with both of their consumer products if the iPhone takes off. I would think that they would also want to bulk up the Movie / TV offerings to better position a Video Phone/iPod.

A May / June release of Leopard would probably make sense of their low projections for Q1. I don't think the Apple TV is going to be the next iPod in terms of sales.

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
Anything thing this is foreshadowing to the addition of dvr functionality to the iLife suite?

That seems like wishful thinking.

Nothing special shipping until after Vista is shipped for consumers and there is a lot of disappointment in the press.

February: Late in the month iLife and iWork announced and shipping
AppleTV and Airport Extreme ship
March: updated consumer mac lines needs Santa Rosa
April: updated pro lines
May: Leopard
June: iPhone
July: WWDC

That doses the hype out over every month into autumn, while not competing with hype over Vista, but capitalizing on Vista dismay.

I agree with your timeline, though the consumer Macs might slip until April and you missed the "late Feb." new products lready announced.

One other possibility that was sparked by recent flickr pictures is that the HDD based iPod wolud get a nano-like facelift with an Aluminum skin and colors. This could happen sooner than August/Sept.

B

JackSYi

macrumors 6502a
Feb 20, 2005
Apple is doing incredible business, I don't get how some people doesn't see that and tries to deny it.

iLife and iWork updates are for sure. I agree with Peace, it should happen somehow with the Beatles thing, most likely an "Apple Special Event."

Le Big Mac

macrumors 68030
Jan 7, 2003
Washington, DC
Anything thing this is foreshadowing to the addition of dvr functionality to the iLife suite?

I think it more likely has to do with the introduction of iTV. Presumably they need to get iLife to work with a possibly new interface for iTV (or something new about it). Maybe they'll bundle iTV and iLife 07

TheBobcat

macrumors 6502
Nov 1, 2006
East Lansing, Michigan
Apple NEEDS an event before Vista's release date.

It will be the difference between the media comparing Vista to Tiger, or "Apple's upcoming Leopard".

And if Vista is compared to Tiger, I seriously doubt Tiger will get credit in those comparisons for being nearly TWO YEARS OLD, with some aspects of OSX even older than that.

I think that iLife will come out with Leopard, with a bundle option to buy both at the same time. OR iLife will be included with Leopard to compare with software included with Vista that rips off iPhoto and iMovie (albeit poorly).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.