Mac OS 10.5.* Spinning Gear Loop

Discussion in 'macOS' started by noeasy, Mar 5, 2008.

1. noeasy macrumors newbie

Could someone please point me in the right direction. I bought another laptop for my girl so I could use her MAC for work. So I followed thread instructions and removed the applesetupdone from the unit, now the Mac just loops at the spinning gear screen. When I put in the Mac OS software it stay's on the spinning gear 4 ever. I can still log on in single user mode, but I have no idea what to do. I've been searching threds for 3 days and If I cant find an answer I guess Imma have to take it into the Apple Store if a solution is not know for this problem. :(

2. redsteven macrumors 6502a

redsteven

assuming applesetupdone refers to the setup utility when you first get your mac, i believe that problem was fixed (or at least supposed to be fixed) in 10.5.2.

Anyway... what instructions did you follow? from what thread?

We need more info on what happened : \

Was everything working fine at first?

3. noeasy thread starter macrumors newbie

4. karenflower macrumors 6502a

karenflower

Are you able to use the install CD? There's an 'Erase and Install' option which reinstalls Mac OS X to make it like new.

5. noeasy thread starter macrumors newbie

When I Install The Start Up Disk

When I install the startup disk the spinning gear just spins and stays on that the start up screen. If the disk is not in the system loops on the start up screen

I think most of my problem is that I followed instructions that applied to Tiger, now that i messed my unit up I just wanna know if there is anyway to fix it.

6. redsteven macrumors 6502a

redsteven

what do you mean by "installing the startup disk?"

Did you try what Karen suggested though?

Insert the OS X install CD, and hold either "C" when the computer is starting up (right after you hear the chime) or hold down the option key and select the CD when it asks you.
    Then erase and install. That's probably the best way for you to do it.

7. noeasy thread starter macrumors newbie

Spinning Gear

By startup disk I ment OS disk when I put the disk in and hold down the "C" key the computer stays stuck on the spinning gear i've left it for a whole day and it dosent move with out the disk it just loops Ive got an appointment at my local i store i will let you all know the outcome
    thanks for all your help