mac OS 10.6.4 update

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Sossity, Jun 6, 2010.

1. Sossity macrumors 6502a

I just read the news section that mac os 10.6.4 will be available, is this an update? I am not sure, what version are current macbook pros running now? & will they come with os 10.6.4 on them after or during this week of the big apple conference?

If & when I gat a mac, I want it to have the latest update of os.

2. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

The latest version of OS X is 10.6.3. That is also the same version that is running on the latest MacBook Pros, as that was the latest version of the OS when they were released.

10.6.4 is currently being tested and hasn't been released to the public.

However, even if your new Mac does not have the very latest version, you will be able to download 10.6.4 for free - any computer running OS 10.6 will get any subsequent 10.6 updates (10.6.1, 10.6.2, 10.6.3, 10.6.4, etc) totally free.

3. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

10.6.4 is just a regular maintenance update, it doesn't bring any new features, just fixes bugs. You can download the update when it comes for free via Software Update. Only 10.X updates bring new features and cost money but 10.7 won't be out before next year

4. Sossity thread starter macrumors 6502a

do you have any idea when 10.6.4 might be released?

another thing is right now, there is only one internet connection to one computer in my home, a windows pc, so when the update comes out, I wont be able to get it off the internet to my mac in my home, as my connection is a single wired connection to the pc. So would I be able to download the update from the pc onto removable media like a thumb drive & then install it on my mac?

5. celticpride678

It is expected that Mac OS X 10.6.4 will be released later next week (during WWDC).

You can download the installer of Mac OS X 10.6.4, when it is released, from Apple's website on a PC, put it on a USB drive and install it on your Mac.

6. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

It's more or less ready I think so it can be released at any time, nobody knows. You can download the update from Apple's site as well and move it to a flash drive. Anyway, 10.6.4 isn't bringing more than bug fixes, it's not even needed

7. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Maybe next week, as the latest betas didn't show any errors.

And yes, you can download the update via this site and then copy it to your Mac.

8. Funkatronic macrumors 6502

Funkatronic

The rumour is that 10.6.4 will be released during WWDC, which is anytime during the next 3 days.

As for your second query, yes, you can download the 10.6.4 update to your PC and then burn it on removable media.

When it releases, it'll be available on the Apple Support/Downloads site here, or alternatively, the direct link will be found somewhere on MacRumours itself cause us folk usually get all excited about even point updates :)